RA help

Options

Hi , 29/f , diagnosed with RA 2.5 years ago, but symptomatic for about 4 years. I hardly know anything about it and so have many questions,

1. do many people find it not symmetrical? My pain is so random and seems to just bounce around my joints 1 at a time for weeks on end.

2. Can it have been triggered from trauma of some sort. My symptoms began after a traumatic birth where I had epidural and forceps delivery? Coincidence?

3. How do you cope with feeling like a fake, because noone can see my pain. I feel as though I have to push through it and act normal because noone believes me ( probably not the case at all )

I'm sure theres many more, but thanks for reading if you got this far

Comments

• Mollbhan
    Mollbhan Member Posts: 20
    Options

Hi Coleyp, I can sympathise with your case my RA started 5 years ago with a sore right knee, after a few weeks jumped to my hips, then neck, arms then everywhere, it still jumps about but mainly in hands arms and hips, I have learned to live with it and have some control over it. I joined my local health club and found exercising sensibly to be beneficial, swimming particularly helpful and 15mins in the hot jacuzzi would rejuvenate me (temporarily). I have no idea what started it in my case as I had always been extremely fit, I keep looking for non medical ways to overcome RA, and I think it is most likely people are sympathetic to your ailments, just find it difficult to express their sympathy. Wishing you all the best, keep us informed how you get on.

• Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hi. Welcome. You have come to the right place. I was diagnosed about 2 years ago, just out of the blue. Yes I had aches and pains sometimes, what woman in her 60 doesn’t. I have never known pain like this. And it took me a good while to get my head around it all. I went from being a very active person who had her own dog walking business, to someone who could hardly put one foot in front of the other. I still have pain a lot of the time, damp weather doesn’t help. Been on methotrexate since May, after trying other stuff, steroids which I have just finished. This site is fantastic for info. You can call the helpline, and they will give you lots of help.

everyone on here knows pain of some sort, so we know where you are coming from. Like you my pain can be in all my joints, or one or two, it varies. Stress makes things worse for me, and let’s face it life with R A can be very stressful. I have learnt to except this condition, it no longer frightens me, but I try not to let it defeat me. Read as much as you can, ask questions when you speak with your rheumatologist. We are all here if you feel overwhelmed, and what a chat or a rant.😊

• zera1
    zera1 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi Coleyp

I can actually completely relate to your diagnosis. I was 37yrs old and gave birth to my second child via c section which was planned. Couple weeks after he was born just felt really unwell after emergency visit to A&E I was told I had a abcess on one of my kidneys. Obviously as my baby was new born I insisted on home care and was on IV antibiotics for 9 weeks, and infection wasn't getting better. Then suddenly I became seriously ill and was rushed to hospital No one knew what was wrong with me after 2 weeks in hospital in worst pain I've ever experienced I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. That was 3 years ago and I've tried all oral medication and I've had side effects now I'm waiting for anti tnf infection

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 979
    Options

Hello @zera1 and welcome to the online community,

It can be quite overwhelming to receive a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis so I’m glad you’ve joined this community - as others have said, we understand the challenges and confusion that you can be faced with.

It’s great that you’re asking questions and want to find out more about RA. Here’s an article about possible causes and risk factors for RA ( although it mentions being overweight and smoking as possible causes and I’ve had RA for over 40 years and have never smoked and am not overweight!). The discussion on genetic factors, hormones and stress is interesting though)

Best wishes,

Anna ( Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

OA can result from a trauma injury to the joint. I don't think RA can. But childbirth of any kind can trigger it. Many people develop it after giving virth. I think hormones come into it.

I got mine long before my first pregnancy but had a very tough time after he was born. Then again three years later after his brother rocked up. Both births were amazingly easy. And very quick. No traumw there.

Personally, I've always preferred to soldier on as much as possible and not moan. But I've always been grateful for the ones who asked how I was and wanted the truth. Look up The Spoon Theory. That's a way of getting over to people the fatigue. We all acclimatise in time😆 You'll get there.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Welsh1
    Welsh1 Member Posts: 73
    Options

People don't know what to say until I was diagnosed with RA I knew very little about it. I don't normally tell people as they tend to say I have a touch of that some actually do know people with it or have it I have met a few and learned from them normally strangers at bus stops ha. My second pregnancy I had bells palsy which didn't go away. Pregnancy takes a toll on the body and can trigger stuff if we are predisposed. Re bells. I wanted people to acknowledge it no one could I was young. My face looked like I had a stroke after a long time I came to terms with it and people's attitudes of being embarrassed shock fear I don't know. Yes the pain can be all over the place mine is mostly on one side. I will tell those close to me if I am in pain need help so they know. Explain side effects of meds as often they don't know.