need some friendly advice

Options

Hi all

I've got degenerative disc disease in my lumber spine and sacrum. I also have arthritis in both knee caps, shoulders and fingers. I'm a professional gardener and I recently suffered a back injury compressed my dics, causing sciatica. I'm feeling very down about this and selling my van is the final straw. I don't want to give up my work I love, and have worked hard to create a successful business. I'm in my early 50's. I'm trying to keep positive but its difficult. Has anyone been in the same position? What did you do?

thanks Victoria

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

You haven achieved a great deal and also have had the courage to accept that you had to sell your van. You need, and deserve, something to go right. All I can think of is contacting your local CAB for advice.

Might there be some way of keeping yout business while having someone else to do what is no longer possible? Could there be a sideways move into gardening design? Maybe someone at CAB, or just someone from the .gov website could explore help and/or benefits.

Sorry, I can't think of anything more useful. We've certainly had people having to change their employment before. I can think, offhand, of a farmer and a chef. A tough call. Good luck.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Jazzy
    Jazzy Member Posts: 12
    Options

Hi Victoria, I had a gardening round which I gave up a couple of years ago when in early 50s once I started to get hip pain caused by OA.

Stopping the gardening gave immediate relief to any pain for me. I sold the van ( which I loved) as I didnt want someone go out using my tools and businessname, as I had largely worked solo.

I've returned to the line of work I did prior to the side step into gardening, which has worked out well.

I think look at your circumstances , your health and income needs and decide which way forward is best for you

My opinion is there's many garden designers out there that make little to no money, and expect there are more gardeners earning more due to the higher demand for their services. Yes a few designers make a fair amount - but they are the minority. Although it could be an additional income stream

Being a business owner - you have valuable transferable skills: sales, marketing, finance, organisation, customer service etc that employers will see in you, if you decide to go that route.

All the best

• swimmer60
    swimmer60 Member Posts: 202
    Options

@victoriam1971

Hello! Would it be financially possible for you to employ someone part time even, to do the hard graft, while you have a "boss/admin" role?