Update

Options

I had an xray in December and have just been to get the results.

She said it is not any worse but suggests referring me to the orthopedics and hip replacement. She said they can do injections but they can cause more and other problems. I asked how long waiting list. I was surprised when she said 8 months. I expected longer. I have some good days and some bad. Not looking forward to going through it again. But hopefully light at the end of the tunnel.

Comments

• Laneyem
    Laneyem Member Posts: 1
    Options

8 months is really good! I had a HR in 2018 and I have been on the wait list since September 2022 for my other hip surgery. At the moment having one good hip and one bad isn’t great and the pain is awful sometimes due to the alignment of my hips :( Scotland’s waiting lists are around 2 years for hip replacements at the moment.

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi@lindamay

Thanks for your post to the Helpline and I'm sorry for the delay in replying. As you mentioned an Xray am I right in thinking you may have Osteoarthritis? And if you opt for surgery this would be your second hip replacement? As you say the eight month wait is shorter than we are often hearing from our callers.

Do let us know where you are in the UK as it's helpful for our Policy and Campaigns. For their work knowing the first part of the postcode is most helpful - e.g. NE16.

If you might like some support over the decision to opt for surgery at this time, you'd be welcome to ring us on 0800 5200 520 and we can talk to you informally.

Conditions | Types of arthritis, causes, treatments (versusarthritis.org)

Surgery | Joint replacements and other operations (versusarthritis.org)

Surgeons emphasise the importance of preparing for surgery by keeping moving and healthy eating.

Let's Move for Surgery Toolkit | Versus Arthritis

Here's some information about waiting times for surgery from our Campaigns:

Is the Elective Recovery Plan in England working for people with arthritis? (versusarthritis.org)

I hope that's helpful

Guy - Helpline Team

• swimmer60
    swimmer60 Member Posts: 202
    Options

14-18 months here.😕

• lindamay
    lindamay Member Posts: 118
    Options

I am in postcode S72. There is a new orthopedic centre opened not too far from us and the nurse told me if all goes well they may be able to send you home in the same day. That is a lot faster than when I had my forst hip done 7 years ago. I was in for 3 days.

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi@lindamay

Thank you very much for providing your postcode. I am glad to hear that a new centre has opened up near you and I hope that all goes well. It would be lovely if you could keep us posted on how you get on.

Best Wishes

Dawn