Ankles! and support

Options

Got arthritis in both ankles and (finally) got Xray of the right, to be told, just wear and tear, age blah blah blah. The right arch has dropped completely and walking is well, not walking, its dragging, limping, hobbling

I'm wondering whether an ankle support would help and where to find advice. I don't want to buy some stuff online and then find it makes it worse.

Sugggestions please!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options

I'd start with shoes. Make sure yours are strong and supportive. Lace-ups such as trainers are best. Don't wear slippers. A cheap neoprene ankle support can be useful for short periods but, as any support encourages weak muscles, only for short periods and also do daily foot exercises.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • AdinaAprodu
    Options

The same with me, both feet and ankles arch dropped in both and basically walking on my ankles rather than my feet. I have a bump on both sides which I suspect it's a muscle herniation or overused muscle, I've been told it's nothing on the MRI of my foot, went to have an ultrasound done and I have been treated like I have wasted their time, the doctor did not even look at me to say bye. The pain is unbeareable daily

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Apologies if anyone has already read this, but there might just be something to help:

Best wishes

Ellen.

• Redlady07
    Redlady07 Member Posts: 25
    Options

Thanks both. Been a while since I was on here. I have got supportive shoes, but can't do laces. Due to a combo of arthritis and MS, I can't put my shoes on myself. I either use a long handled shoe horn or my carer/ partner has to help. But for 4 days a week, I'm in the house and then its slippers which are less supportive.

I asked my physio about an ankle support and he thinks its a possibility but you trade in support over the nakle becoing rigid. I do DIY physio in water once a week using the exercises the hydrotherapist gave me and stretching exercises every morning. But like AdinaAprodu - pain daily and I can't put weight on it which is reducing me to hobbling around the house!