Life Hacks

Options
2»

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,644
    Options

@RosieW welcome to the Versus Arthritis online community.

Thank you so much for sharing your own top tip. I Always like it when a person's first post is to help someone else.

I hope you will continue to post wherever you feel comfortable.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• mosborn11
    mosborn11 Member Posts: 32
    Options

my tip is use the fork of a meat carving set to pierce things for the microwave. Takes so much less force than using a regular knife or fork!

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options

I realise you can buy hair dryers on stands, but the set-up below is how a dry my hair with my inability to lift my arms very high. We all have things around our homes which can sometimes be put to other or extra uses, as I found with my big vase! I haven't thought of a way to wash my own hair yet, but I'm always open to suggestions!

Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • Lin65
    Lin65 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Love the chip basket idea, will definitely be giving that a go. Thank you so much

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 542
    Options

My husband is a gadget geek and recently took purchase of a 3d printer - no idea why but he has eased my concerns of initially thinkin it was a total waste of money by printing all sorts of useful bits and pieces including a stick/crutch stand as my stick keeps fallilng over, bottle and can openers of all different sizes, pick up tool, shoe horn etc etc but there are loads of different bits and pieces available :)

If you know of anyone with one it might be worth asking if they could print some stuff off for you - one thing I did note were pill poppers in a lot of different sizes :)

trish xx

• LennartU
    LennartU Member Posts: 5
    Options
  • Trish9556
    Options

Most definitely @LennartU, we could but we wouldnt make money out if other peoples pain. It is however a friendly tip for more gadget geeks

trish

• KPez09
    KPez09 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Some of my useful hacks, electric tin opener, teaspoon for ring pulls. Zip pulls (already mentioned)

We found pans with double handles non stick and lightweight, Uncle Jo bought them from a TV shopping channel, they help when I have to cook as they can go on top or in oven. My daughter helps with a lot of cooking.

I have a few memory foam bath mats in the kitchen as the floor is so cold and hard.

Shower scrunchie on a long handle so I can still wash my own back.

My dog will pick up items and put them in my hand or on my lap, command is "give" all I have to do is point at the item. Most things he will pick up, it's a work in progress

Our junk cupboard under the stairs was brutal for me as I had to keep lifting and moving stuff so we put a set of garage racking in there so I can reach everything

I use a steak knife instead of a regular dinner knife when my hands are feeling sore.

My daughter carries items upstairs for me and puts them away or on top of a small unit for me later.

I have bra that zip at the front because I can't do the small hooks or reach behind my back

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,486
    Options

Thanks @KPez09 some great tips there and nice to meet you too 😊

Can I borrow you dog and/your daughter please!

Toni x

• KPez09
    KPez09 Member Posts: 23
    Options

My dog won't leave my side so I doubt it, but the 18 yo hormonal teen I might consider. All jokes aside she can be brilliant when she puts her mind to it

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,486
    Options

Love it🤣 She'll turn out fine I have 3 daughters and the youngest is now 25 so I know exactly what you mean!

Toni x

• Trish9556
    Options

Hi all

This is my latest version of my cream applicator courtesy of my gadget geek husband. Mark 1 was made using the washing up sponge that has a handle that you put washing up liquid in.

Mark 2 shoukd work just as well but is also longer and will be perfect for sunscreen, body lotion, voltoral etc post surgery next week and lookingforward to testing out Mark 2 🤣

Trish Xx