Hip surgery can't come quick enough

Options

Hi there, I am enjoying reading people's hip replacement journeys on here. Just wish I was writing my own soon.

I have had Osteoarthritis in my back and hips since 2019. I managed ok at first but gradually went down hill, feet and ankles started swelling soon after.

Went back to Rheumatology on March 2023 as the pain got too much. Sent for physio and xray in July which showed right hip was bone on bone.

Rheumatology then diagnosed Psoriatic Arthritis in November and reckons thats maybe why everything has deteriorated so quick. To start Methotrexate. I've read this can take up to 12 weeks to start working.

Orthopaedic appointment on December 4th who agrees hip replacement is the way forward. I am on the priority list and looking at around June this year, here's hoping I get a cancellation as my hip and limp is getting worse.

Trying hard to stay in work but the heavy lifting in a meat factory isn't helping. Have asked my manager if I could be moved to lighter duties until my hip is fixed 🙏 hoping to get an answer soon.

Billy

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options

@Billy85 , your workplace must make adjustments for an employee's disability. See here https://www.gov.uk/reasonable-adjustments-for-disabled-workers .

Waiting in pain for an operation is hard. We just have to keep plugging away, do gentle Range of Movement exercises and stay positive. I do hope your DMARDS help a bit soon and, if you could take a cancellation, that opportunity arises.

Will you be on your own post-op? If so, you could start preparing things.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 975
    Options

Hello @Billy85

Waiting for surgery when you’re in pain can indeed be challenging, and I second @stickywicket ’s advice to speak to your workplace about reasonable adjustments, and also to prepare for your post-op living arrangements.

You might find the Versus Arthritis page on preparing for surgery useful too - it gives some suggestions from members on ways to manage your pain and also to keep flexible and build up your muscle strength. Here’s the link:

Do let us know how you’re getting on,

Anna (Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Billy85
    Billy85 Member Posts: 21
    Options

Hi @stickywicket @Ann

Thanks for the advice, I finally did what I should have months ago and asked my manager about light duties until my hip is fixed. Don't know why I kept putting it off, maybe down to a bit of personal pride and not wanting to let my condition get the better of me. I have to get a meeting with HR next week.

I know by reading on here and talking to family and work colleagues that I should listen to what my body is telling me and ask for help more and take time out when needed.

I have a good network of family around me to help me post-op. Just so happens that my sugery is looking to be around June the same time my wife is due to give birth to our son 😃 here's hoping both don't happen on the same day 🤞

I will keep taking my medication and pushing for help at work because I don't want to be off on the sick unless I really have too.

I will let yous know how I get on and keep reading on here for more info and advice in the meantime.

Thank you

Billy

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 348
    Options

@Billy85

It's really good to hear you've talked to your manager and good luck with your meeting with HR next week. It's perfectly understandable that you haven't done this until now. I think we all think we can cope and carry on but then there comes the time when we know for sure we have to take action.

It's good to hear you've a network of family around to help you post-op - especially as you've a new son due around the same time! Congratulations and take care 😊

• Billy85
    Options

@Anna @stickywicket

Had my meeting with HR and Health & Safety on Friday just past.

They were really nice, asking me about my condition and what I can and cannot do physically. They are getting in touch with Occupational health to find out more as they admit they aren't that clued up medically.

In the meantime they will go back to my manager and see if there's a less physically demanding job I could do until after my hip op.

Health and safety will then do a risk assessment.

So here's hoping for a change at work this week as I want to stay in work as long as possible up until my op.

Thank yous,

Billy

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 975
    Options

That’s encouraging news @Billy85 - I hope you get the change you need to keep working.

Take care,

Anna ( Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Billy85
    Options

So went back to my manager on Wednesday to see if there was a lighter job for me. She said she still had to speak with HR. Also said she was waiting to hear from occupational health which hopefully would be soon.

Don't know why they cant make a decision now as I've told them I'm struggling.

Anyway, got up for work this morning and my leg was stiff and sore, combination of hip and knee. So I called in sick.

Few hours later and my manager text me saying if I feel OK to return to work on Monday she will move me to an easier job.

Finally feel like I'm getting some where at work.

Billy

• Janlyn
    Options

@Billy85 I do hope you feel well enough to go in on Monday for lighter duties. Sorry it had to get so bad for them to take action. Take care.

• swimmer60
    swimmer60 Member Posts: 202
    Options

@Billy85

That is good news!👍️

• Billy85
    Options

Thank yous, I will let yous know how I get on back at work tomorrow.

Billy

• Billy85
    Options

First day back done, have an agreement with manager to stick to lighter duties until op.

No heavy lifting which definitely made for an easier day.

Billy

• Janlyn
    Options

@Billy85 that's brilliant news!

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 281
    Options

@Billy85 That's great! I hope you feel better with these lighter duties.

• Billy85
    Options

Hi there, so I phoned my consultants secretary to ask where I was on the list for my op, hoping for any sort of good new which would give me a lift.

I wish I never did now as she was very blunt on the phone saying she couldn't tell me anything and she couldn't see me getting it done anytime within 6/7 months.

I will have been on the list 10 weeks tomorrow (not that I'm counting 😆) and surgery seems a long time away.

Any tips on how to stay positive as I wait for that phone call with a date?

Thanks,

Billy

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 281
    Options

I'm so sorry to hear about that. Sadly, waiting list are very long, but it depends on the health board you are. In Wales some people have been waiting 3 years but I've heard in other health boards you can register on lists for immediate availability in case of a cancellation. If you live in England, I think there is a website where you can enter your referral number and see where you are. Meanwhile, I'd recommend you to get as fit as you can because it'll help a lot in your recovery. Even it's painful, there are many exercises you can do. I'd recommend not to count the days. It'll happen soon, you'll see. Good luck

• Janlyn
    Options

@Billy85 I'm so sorry to hear this and do understand your disappointment. I hope the light duties at work are helping and you will be able to keep on with them until your surgery.

Have you tried looking at waiting lists in other areas? I hope someone can come along with a link because I'm not sure of the detail, but there are people on here who have opted to go out of their area and had their surgery very much quicker. I know it's not as convenient but maybe an option?

In the meantime to keep yourself as fit as you can - enough exercise, the right exercise, but not too much - so difficult I know - is a good plan.

Take care, good luck.

• swimmer60
    swimmer60 Member Posts: 202
    Options

@Billy85

As Janlyn says, see if you can opt out of your area. My friend did just this and she got an op within 8 weeks. I believe a GP can refer you anywhere?