Arthritic knee flare up

Options

Hi all, has anyone experienced the above? On Friday I was making my way back from our village, only about one third of a mile. I’d noticed an ache all round my knee for a couple of days. Trying to carry my 18 month old grandson upstairs for a sleep was very uncomfortable the day before. I got my husband to carry him down. When I arrived home I was in such pain I somehow got myself upstairs, with help, and tried all the usuals hot lavender packs and ibuprofen.

Saturday morning was no better and with a lot of difficulty (and help) I ended up in A&E. When I managed to stumble in with a walking stick the doctor told me it was a flare up in the knee which was arthritic which I’d never noticed before. I’m now on Naproxen anti inflammatory tablets for a fortnight and a walking holiday in Scotland has now been abandoned. Apparently it’s regular walking that’s triggered it off.

I must say that after 4 days it’s beginning to feel a lot more back to normal but I’m very anxious about what to expect next. Any advice would be very helpful thanks,

Barbara

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,015
    Options

Hello @Ribble

I don't know if this will be of help, but have a look anyway

Hope you get it sorted

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Charlestown
    Charlestown Member Posts: 219
    Options

Hi

ive had a knee flare up, the most agonising pain, i could not walk hardly for over 2 months. I used a hot water bottle on my knee which helped massively. Also ibrufen gel on knee. I had naproxen & ibuprofen but i cant tolerate naproxen well on my stomach. I found it difficult coping with a flare up i really struggled to get upstairs i had to go up on ky bum then come downstairs backwards, i resorted to sleeping on the sofa. I do light yoga at home from you tube videos & im trying to lose weight. I think maintaining a healthy weight & light excercise/stretching/yoga are worth bearing in mind to help minimise flare ups. 😊

• Ribble
    Ribble Member Posts: 23
    edited 22. Jan 2024, 13:21
    Options

Hi there, thank you so much for your comments and I’m so sorry to hear about the pain you’ve had to endure. I was feeling very sorry for myself after it happened but I think my recovery is going quite well. I had stomach protection tablets with the Naproxen and so far, so good. Doing yoga of some sort sounds good advice, so thanks for that. I do hope you are feeling a bit more relieved from pain now. I’m trying some of the knee exercises posted on this site as well as gentle peddling on my Turbo at home.

• Ribble
    Options

Hello @noddingtonpete

Thanks very much for the knee exercises suggestion. I’m now doing these regularly. I visited the NHS resident physio at my local surgery who checked the knee and said he thought it was pretty sound. He said I was doing all the right stuff and gave the Versus Athritis knee exercises a thumbs up. Just said keep it up and do double the amount for extra strength and support. Also said cycling was excellent as it’s low impact. Hopefully I’ll be out walking again in the near future. 😀

• Ribble
    Options

Hello @Charlestown

I do hope your knee flare up has settled. It’s very debilitating and life gets put on hold.😏 I also hope you are managing the stairs more comfortably now. After a month my knee is a lot better with the help of the VA knee exercises which I’m doing regularly nowadays. All the best.

Barbara

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,015
    Options

Hello @Ribble good to hear the exercises are working. Hopefully out walking soon - once the weather picks up! It's dark wet and only suitable for a cup of tea indoors here at the moment 😪

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Charlestown
    Charlestown Member Posts: 219
    edited 22. Feb 2024, 14:49
    Options

Hi@Ribble thank you yes my knee has not been an issue lately its other areas now. 😫Will know more once i receive blood test results. Honestly ive gone from living a normal life going to the gym & working full tome to using a stick in less than 4 yrs!!! The excercises are great i find. I do beginners yoga on youtube Yoga with Adrienne, she has millions of followers. Its therapeautic as well as strengthening & stretching. I also do sciatica excercises so yes keep up with the excercising im glad its worked for you 💯👍😀

• Ribble
    Options

Hi @Charlestown yes, I know how you feel. One minute your life is swinging along as planned and enjoyable then … suddenly stretching, strengthening and visits to hospitals for various X-rays, checks, joint replacements become new hobbies!! Not easy for people like me who have been competitive outdoor athletes all their lives. I’m also following a YouTube lady called Meg Stickl who does all over strength exercises for knees and hips and various dumbbell exercises for the older generation so no overdoing it. I checked all these out with the local physio who gave me a thumbs up. Also I do the recommended stretching for knees on this site, thanks to @noddingtonpete which are excellent. I’m sure it’s all helping.

Anyway, Much to my surprise I have had an all clear from the latest X-ray on my left knee. After an arthritic knee flare up! I’ve been advised that these aren’t unusual in a person of my age. Great .😏 At least I can carry on cycling (main hobby, low impact) and now, hopefully, back to some walking again. Taking it ‘steady as she goes’ and all that.

All the best to you and well done on all you do. I will check out the yoga lady as well. Thank you.

Barbara x