Newbie here - looking for knee OA injections info

Options

Hello all,

Newbie here. I am 62, London based, and have patellafemoral osteoarthritis in both knees. Before considering partial/full knee replacements, I am trying to find out more about nStride and Arthrosamid knee injections and whether they are worth it.

I have already had Hyaluronic Acid (Durolane) injections in 2020 to no effect. I went to the RJAH in Oswestry in 2022 to see about Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation but was told no because I was too old and now had the start of OA.

I am leaning towards Arthrosamid. Any relevant personal experience/info is most welcome.

Thanks!

Comments

• TroutFisher
    Options

Hi Grubber, Thought I’d be having a new knee after recent increased pain because of OA in right knee. However consultant examined X-rays of 14 months ago and recent xray and said there hadn’t been much deterioration so gave me steroid injection. Didn’t go into details but has made a big positive change for the better.

Previously used to get pain for last year or so when I stood up after sitting down for any length of time. That pain has disappeared. Don’t know how long injections last but results seem to vary according to different people.

• grubber
    grubber Member Posts: 8
    Options

TroutFisher - thanks for kindly posting about your steroid injection, I hope things go well for you.

In addition to the bilateral Hyaluronic Acid injections, I have also tried over separate periods of months:

Glucosamine and Chondroitin tablets

Omega 3 with Collagen tablets

Turmeric tablets

Sadly none of them appeared to have any beneficial effect for me.

A South African mate of mine takes a liquid collagen supplement. He says he does feel a difference if he doesn't take it for a few days. It is not available in the UK. I'm still unsure about it myself.

I am primarily interested in any info from anyone who has had (or is going to have) nStride or Arthrosamid injections. I can see that some people here have posted about them already and I will be keeping an eye out for more posts/info.

I look forward to seeing all replies/separate posts - they will be very useful for those of us who are deciding what to do next.

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,633
    Options
  • grubber
    Options

Ellen - thank you for kindly pointing out that thread, yes I had seen it and am watching it with great interest.

I have always valgus (knock knees) and flat feet.

2011 - I noticed some stiffness/minor pains in my knees, and was prescribed physiotherapy.

2012 - I went to see a private consultant, who performed bilateral knee arthroscopies. I now think that he may have been overzealous in removing damaged cartilage.

2015 - I was told by a different NHS consultant that I may need patellafemoral debriding. Unfortunately around the same time I was diagnosed with cancer, which had to take a greater priority over the next couple of years.

2020 - I went to see a third private consultant, who suggested partial bilateral osteotomies. Then Covid came along.

2021 - I saw a BBC tv programme about NHS ACI at RJAH. After a lot of phone calls/emails/letters and then visits/scans/consultations, I was eventually turned down as an ACI candidate.

Thus I am now investigating various non-surgical knee joint procedures, to try and delay the seemingly inevitable partial/full KRs.

• grubber
    Options

I have now been diagnosed with OA of the thumb joints.

By the time I've done my back, leg and thumb exercises, it's time to go back to bed. Stone me, what a life.