Dropped Foot

Hi folks, I know I haven't been here for a while, just been plodding on and trying to make the most of life, like you do.

Friday, I was walking along and suddenly I had a sharp shooting pain down my right leg (normally hurt my left one). I honestly thought I was going to pass out from the pain, but thankfully I didn't. I thought it might be sciatica, but gabapentin didn't touch it, though ibuprofen seemed to help. I've struggled through the weekend and got to today, where I walked from the car into work and my friend said 'oh no, you've got a dropped foot!' because of the way I was walking. I've done some searching and it does appear to match the symptoms, but what can I do with it? I've contacted my RA team for advice and the GP told me to go to the out of hours service. Advice on what to do is unclear - do I keep walking? Do I initially have to rest it? So I'm wondering if anyone else has had a dropped foot and what care advice were you given?

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 872

Hello @TUL50 you may have already seen this but have a look at

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,204

My back finally 'went' many years ago and I lost the feeling in my entire right leg (Interestingly mine had always been left before too!).

So none of the leg worked at all.

Over time and after back surgery I recovered it. I had to to a lot of physio and I did it religiously post op.

I very much hope you've been to see someone I would want it looked looked at promptly in your place.

Hope you are doing ok.

Toni

• Cazbaz
    Cazbaz Member Posts: 71

Hello@TUL50, I had dropped foot and nerve damage straight after my THR, the physiotherapist and consultant advised it should get better, as I couldn’t even put shoes on I went on the internet and found several exercises which I did religiously every day, it took several weeks but it did improve by 99%, still got nerve damage down the lower part of my leg but nothing that bothers me, hope your problem gets better