Dropped Foot

Options

Hi folks, I know I haven't been here for a while, just been plodding on and trying to make the most of life, like you do.

Friday, I was walking along and suddenly I had a sharp shooting pain down my right leg (normally hurt my left one). I honestly thought I was going to pass out from the pain, but thankfully I didn't. I thought it might be sciatica, but gabapentin didn't touch it, though ibuprofen seemed to help. I've struggled through the weekend and got to today, where I walked from the car into work and my friend said 'oh no, you've got a dropped foot!' because of the way I was walking. I've done some searching and it does appear to match the symptoms, but what can I do with it? I've contacted my RA team for advice and the GP told me to go to the out of hours service. Advice on what to do is unclear - do I keep walking? Do I initially have to rest it? So I'm wondering if anyone else has had a dropped foot and what care advice were you given?

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 889
    Options

Hello @TUL50 you may have already seen this but have a look at

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,443
    Options

My back finally 'went' many years ago and I lost the feeling in my entire right leg (Interestingly mine had always been left before too!).

So none of the leg worked at all.

Over time and after back surgery I recovered it. I had to to a lot of physio and I did it religiously post op.

I very much hope you've been to see someone I would want it looked looked at promptly in your place.

Hope you are doing ok.

Toni

• Cazbaz
    Cazbaz Member Posts: 71
    Options

Hello@TUL50, I had dropped foot and nerve damage straight after my THR, the physiotherapist and consultant advised it should get better, as I couldn’t even put shoes on I went on the internet and found several exercises which I did religiously every day, it took several weeks but it did improve by 99%, still got nerve damage down the lower part of my leg but nothing that bothers me, hope your problem gets better

• Janeywaney
    Janeywaney Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi everyone. I had a total hip replacement just over 6 weeks ago, and have had foot drop ever since. I've been referred to a neurophysiologist for nerve conduction tests, but that's not until 20th March. I'm finding it really hard. I have no upward movement in my foot, so my foot just drags when I walk. I've been given an orthotic which keeps the foot at right angles to stop me from tripping over every time I walk. I have been told I won't be allowed to drive because it's my right foot. There has been no improvement whatsoever since the surgery, and physio can't help because there is no response from the muscles. It's really getting me down. Does anyone have any advice or words of support?

• KC1
    KC1 Member Posts: 37
    Options

Hi @TUL50 have you seen anyone about your back? I had 2 prolapsed discs 30 years ago which left me with nerve damage and dropped foot. After back surgery, exercise and time things improved considerably. I tend to trip a bit if I’m really tired but otherwise all good. MRI is best if possible to see what’s happening in your lower back. I hope you’re not in too much pain.