work, life and health balance

Options

I was diagnoised a year ago and my RA is still unsettled.

My question is work related, In an ideal world I would reduce my hours in work. I am an Assistant head in a primary school and have a long commute. My concern is the financial impact that reducing hours will bring both long term to my pension and obviously with montly pay. I have 13 years before I am entitled to my full pension.

I have started reading about ill health. It discusses getting Occ health involved but I am concerend they will just recommend reducing hours. This would be my last resort. Do the work place even have to accept this as it may not be in the school interest?

Has anyone else had these sort of problems. I know health comes first but my health will deteriorate if I am worried about money???

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 991
    Options

Hi @wendy19 and welcome to the online community,

Other members no doubt have experiences that they can share about working while living with with arthritis, but you might also be interested to read the page below from the Versus Arthritis website that discusses your options and rights at work:

Best wishes,

Anna ( Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 540
    Options

@wendy19

Would you be able to transfer to or get a secondment to another school closer to home? That might enable you to keep working full time for at least a bit longer?

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• Welsh1
    Welsh1 Member Posts: 75
    Options

Public sector have to make allowances and occ health should help with this. Hope you can sort something