Aching neck!

Options

Here I go again! Another aching part of the body! Necks. I was told about seven years ago that mine was very arthritic. Do many people suffer from pain in this area? I’m not sure whether everyone over a certain age has this problem and it’s described as degenerative wear and tear. It’s not a constant bother but when it is it’s really uncomfortable.

I’m wondering how much cartilage wears away between the joints. The head is quite a heavy body part and apparently nothing can be done to relieve it, i.e. false parts so we just have to put up with it. I do rub comfrey (knitbone) oil into my neck which I’m hoping does some good. Has anyone got any other suggestions on what to use, or do.

Barbara

Comments

• DODGYKNEES
    DODGYKNEES Member Posts: 90
    Options

Hi @Ribble I also have degenerative disk disease in neck. I sometimes use a hot water bottle when I'm in pain, discomfort with it. I also sometimes use a neck pillow. Hope this helps

• Ribble
    Ribble Member Posts: 23
    Options

@DODGYKNEES Thanks for your suggestions. Hadn’t really noticed until today that my neck pain has been very much better, i.e. not really noticeable. Fingers crossed!! I’ve altered my diet quite drastically over the last month, less sugar, gluten and dairy, like cheese. Not easy but there are quite a few alternatives out there. Best of luck with the neck pain.

• elainejenny
    Options

Hi Newbie to the group

I have arthritis in my neck and today its quite painful, trying to find out what aggravates it. I rode my bicycle yesterday and wondered if this is the reason uncomfortable today. Any thoughts?

• CarylW
    CarylW Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hello @elainejenny

Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting on @Ribble 's thread.

I hope you will find us a friendly group - we are always willing to help each with support and information when we can.

I don't know if you have had a chance to explore our website yet? There's lots of information on it, and I wondered if the link below might help you?

I hope you will keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

Best wishes

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• elainejenny
    Options

I tried the exercises Caryl and found them very good. Thank you! Elainejenny

• Rontog
    Rontog Member Posts: 4
    Options

Gentle exercises each day helped me too.

• Ribble
    Ribble Member Posts: 23
    Options

hello@elainejenny thanks for these exercises. I’ll try them and let you know how the neck feels

• sandie77
    sandie77 Member Posts: 4
    Options

I have neck arthritis which at this point in my life, affects my day to day living very much. I am 77 and probably much older than most of you, so I would like to suggest posture is major important, being careful with the amount of phone time looking down, getting up and moving around more often when working at a desk, and not bending your neck and head forward on your computers.

I did want to mention that for some people with neck arthritis, the one exercise where you are bending your head towards your chest, will make the neck worse for some.

I was very fortunate that my doctor sent me to a occupational therapist as well, who helped me with ideas for being able to live life more normally with this. It was life changing for me, so this might be something to consider for those of you who are having problems with day to day life.

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 761
    Options

Hello @sandie77 welcome to the online community

Thank you so much for your first post giving support and tips to others, that is just what we are all about. Supporting each other. It is really good to hear that you had a good experience with your OT , we always suggest that exercise can help ease joint and muscle pain. Have you seen the stretching videos I attach a link for your interest. We are never too old to try something new!

Best wishes

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• sandie77
    Options

Hi Poppyjane,

Thank you for your comments, however I don't see the link to the video on stretching. Always good to try new stretches, I find keeping things moving is huge.

You are so right about learning something new, and learning new ways to do things. I am wondering about my flower gardening, however I have made everything smaller, and cutting grass is fine since I don't have to bend my neck down.

With my neck, I am unable to bend my neck to look down or write on a table, or slice veggies on a countertop without causing myself problems with pain and stiffening up which could last a few days. I have set up one of those steppers that you use for exercise (6 inches) and put two of the thin plastic cutting boards on top with rubber like material between the stepper and the cutting sheets. This really works great for my neck, and I can enjoy cooking once again.

I have a few other things that help me to function as I always have, just in a little bit different way. I am hoping to get other peoples ideas and tips and tricks for neck arthritis as well. I had to give up jig saw puzzles, but so far that is about all.

Thank you for your interest and response.

Sandie

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 979
    Options

Hello @sandie77

Here’s the link to some exercises to help alleviate neck pain that @Poppyjane might have been recommending

https://www.versusarthritis.org/media/21788/neckpain-exercise-sheet.pdf

I have RA and like you, went through a period when it greatly affected my daily life. I found the exercises really helpful, and still continue them today.

Best wishes,

Anna ( Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• sandie77
    Options

Thank you Anna

I will check out these exercises today, and so appreciate the help.

• sandie77
    Options

I find the exercises are very much like the ones I had in physio, except the bending forward. It is really helpful when I do them, helps me to keep my neck in motion. I find if I do them 2-3 times a day, it is noticeably beneficial.

I find that being in larger groups where I have to continually turn my head, or sitting too long, is really awful. I try to situate myself accordingly when I can, and from now on to avoid soft couches. I am trying to look at it as if I need to just do it differently instead of saying I'm never doing that again.

There are certainly lifestyle changes to be made with arthritis in the neck.

• LennartU
    LennartU Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi, I also like cycling, but sometimes after riding I have pain in the neck and left knee. I do the easy ex when it hurts, I'm trying to force myself to do them regularry)