Tips to help with knee pain

Options

Hi all I am a new member and am finding it difficult managing the pain in my knee I have had a steroid injection that was not successful and my ability to exercise is limited when i have a flair up and I am not sleeping because of the pain Has anyone any suggestions of what works for them ?

many thanks

Andrea

Comments

• FlexiPain75
    Options

Hi Andrea

Sorry to hear you're in so much pain.

Have you had a diagnosis of what's wrong with your knee?

If it's just arthritis that's causing the pain. Have you tried ice / heat therapy?

It could be, because it's been so cold recently that you need to get heat into your knee to reduce the pain.

So try soaking in a warm bath or you can buy hot/cold cyro packs from Amazon that can be warmed in the microwave or frozen.

If your knee is Swollen, ice is better as the swelling alone, can cause pain in your knee and ankle. Keep your leg up, when sitting down to reduce all swelling.

With regard to pain management & sleep you need to speak to your consultant or GP. As you need something that doesn't clash with current medication.

But be aware that taking ibuprofen long-term can cause Gasto & acid reflux issues. (I found that out the hard way).

I hope this information is useful.

• Lau
    Lau Member Posts: 4
    edited 27. Jan 2024, 17:27
    Options

Hi Andrea,

My experience was similar until I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. So I guess it’s key to get a diagnosis. Then you can start treatment which takes time ( I thought I’d be so much better in a few weeks). I think there’s a lot to process mentally too. So I can only suggest be kind to yourself, talk to those around you & ensure your medical team know how all your symptoms affect you, so they can support you and find your best treatment.

Support straps, heat / ice and topical and oral painkillers do help during flares. Rest is important as is listening to your body and pacing yourself.

I send you my best for your recovery & hope this helps in some way.