Finances when self employed and needing THR


I couldn't find an introduction thread so jumped in here.

I'm 54 and suffering with osteoarthritis, bone on bone of the hip diagnosed in 2016.

I'm a single parent to an autistic adult, we don't get any help with her disability as she was diagnosed late so there's no support pathway, I have no living family and no support network at all. On top of that I'm self employed as a gardener.

I was referred in 2021 on the NHS/private scheme to see a consultant but he literally scared the life out of me, his buzz word was "dislocation" and he clearly stated I would not be able to do my job again after surgery. Needless to say I didn't go ahead with the surgery at that time even though I had felt it was the best option with private care and physio etc, I honestly felt he didn't want to operate on me as I would've been the youngest patient he'd performed the op on.

I'm at the point now where I don't know how much longer I'll be able to work anyway, I struggle to walk and can't lift, heck I can't even do my grocery shopping anymore.

Is there any help available to me to make sure I can get surgery, pay my bills and be able, in some way to support my daughter whilst making a good recovery?

Sorry for the long post and thank you for being here.


  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,236

    Oh dear this does sound tricky @ItsjustLisa

    First of all I genuinely would have thought, if your daughter's autism is severe enough that, she should qualify for some PIP (personal independence payment). I would be talking to 'someone' who can help like Citizen's advice or if you have one your local welfare rights at the council.

    As for you I am not sure what to say because although my own husband is self employed the main insurance he takes out is to cover him if he is ever off sick long term. He has had this since he set up the business well over 30 years ago. Not sure how they are with people with existing conditions.

    Again maybe one of the two agencies above can help? You might also be able to apply for support in terms of PIP if you are struggling to do physical tasks.

    I am so sorry you felt almost fobbed off by that consultant before, perhaps you were a 'younger' person to have such surgery, but gosh it's been done before as many here will attest to. Scaremongering is not helpful at all. I hope you ahve been back to your GP to begin the process again hopefully with a more sympathetic surgeon this time.

    Best of luck and hopefully someone else will come along too soon with some ideas

    Toni x

  • Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,569

    Good morning @ItsjustLisa Welcome to the online community.

    I see you've already had a reply from Frogmorton, but just wanted to add this link in case it is of any help:

    I do hope you'll let us know how you get on.

    Best wishes


  • Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 198

    Like @frogmorton said, I'd go to the Citizen Advise Bureau for financial advice. Ask to your GP for another referral ASAP. and, if possible, ask for a "young adult" orthopedics specialist. Good luck.

  • @frogmorton @Ellen @number1puppys@Nurina thank you for your replies. I really appreciate them.

    I've had to do some serious thinking this week as I've been in severe pain and haven't been able to get to work.

    @frogmella@frogmorton I became self employed just after I was diagnosed so sadly no health insurance would cover my existing condition, silly really in hindsight but you just think you can go on forever at 30odd.

    My daughter does get financial help with ESA and pip, it was more the support I provide but I've spoken to her the past couple of days and I think we can figure those bits out, when you're not used to having outside support you kind of figure out ways to work through things.

    I've decided to speak to my GP this week as I've gotten worse over the past few months and feel I probably need to get the other hip and my knees looked at and speak to her about referral for surgery

    I didn't get much chance to discuss my previous appointment as it was just post COVID and even now getting to see my GP is incredibly difficult but there's no putting it off anymore.

    One of my clients has given me the name of his friend who's a top hip surgeon in our area, he works both private and NHS so I'm going to see if I can get referred to him.

    Thank you again for the link and advice, I'm going to get on to the CAB today.

  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,236

    Oh well done @ItsjustLisa 👍️

    That was a really positive reply I hope everyone here backing you up helped in some small way. More likely though the pain just got too much.

    You know I bet your daughter will end up helping you through this procedure. I get it it was practical support you were meaning for her. I help my youngest too who had leukaemia at 16 ended up having a shoulder replacement and hip surgery and now still has epilepsy.

    Good luck with your drs appt please do let us know how you get on. You know what you want now and are really you just need to fight for it.

    Take care

    Toni x

  • Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 198

    @ItsjustLisa Ask your GP for a referral letter for the private consultant you've mention. You probably have to pay for the visit but I think it's worth to try and you would know your diagnosis and the treatment in advance. If he wants, because he doesn't have to do it, he can put you in his NHS waiting list and you would only have to wait for the surgery, eliminating the time you have to wait for the first referral which could be a year. Unfortunately they can't do much to jump you up in the waiting list for the surgery, but it's something.