Osteoarthritis

Options

I've just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis, just wondering, since having this, I've recently been told I'm anemic, are they connected. Is there anything I can do, to ease the pain.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 991
    Options

Hello @27Fl0psy61 and welcome to the online community,

Although anemia is more common with rheumatoid arthritis, there is no known link between osteoarthritis and anemia. However, it can cause tiredness or lack of energy and can impact quality of life, so if you can treat your anemia, then you might find it easier to deal with the pain of osteoarthritis. Is this something you are receiving medication for? If so, hopefully this will soon start to take effect and you will feel more able to cope.

The website below has some useful suggestions for dealing with the pain of arthritis, including reviewing your medication, gentle exercise and other self help suggestions.

Best wishes, and do let us know how you're getting on,

Anna (Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 395
    Options

@27Fl0psy61 I don't know the answer to your question but I was diagnosed as borderline anaemic whilst waiting for my hip replacement and I was put on iron tablets. I actually did feel much better after a few days - both my mood and pain. I had been having a lot of tingling pain whilst in bed and discomfort whilst sitting during the day and these were definitely eased. Well worth you getting your anaemia treated and see how you feel.

Take care.