Keeping motivated to lose weight with arthritis

Options

Hi,

I have osteoarthritis. Diagnosed 2 years ago. Had physio, referred eventually to hospital but they refused to see me as my BMI is over 35. Initially lost 3 stone, then as the hospital refused to see me I lost my determination and despite seeing my doctor for weigh-ins, I started to put on weight. Prescribed Codiene only. My walking gradually worsened now I can only walk with crutches. I do swim at least once a week but just don't seem to be able to get back on track with weight loss. Anyone have any good suggestions on how to get back on track? Currently using NHS app and counting Calories. Have done Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Rosemary Connolly all in past. Lost the 3 stone initially using the NHS weight loss app. I know I won't get any medical help until I get some more weight off. Winter time pains are much worse and I feel the retirement I was looking forward to has been made impossible for me. Any inspiration or ideas on how to get motivated will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks @Nellyida

Comments

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 395
    Options

@Nellyida Well done for initially losing three stone, no easy thing to do.

Have you tried intermittent fasting? I had always been able to keep my weight where I wanted it with exercise until I became fairly immobile waiting for my hip surgery. I really didn't think it would work but tried intermittent fasting just to see. The method I chose was 10:14 in which I ate for any ten hours in the day and only drank water or black tea or coffee for the other 14. My choice was not to eat until lunchtime and then I could eat until 10.00pm. I thought it would be difficult but actually after the first couple of days I found it easy. I lost weight, gained energy and felt well.

I was concerned my lack of mobility would affect my annual heart review but my nurse correctly said it wouldn't and that she had never had a bad result from anyone intermittent fasting.

Good luck with anything you choose to do - I know how hard it must be for you.

• HelenS
    HelenS Administrator Posts: 104
    edited 1. Feb 2024, 08:40
    Options

Hi @Nellyida Thanks for posting and welcome to the online community, hopefully you will find some answers to your questions here. I see you have already received a response from 1 of our members, hopefully other members will also be able to give advice.

We can empathise with your situation and appreciate it is difficult and frustrating to be told about exercise, and also how difficult it can be to lose weight. Maybe you can be asked to be referred to a nutritionist who could give you some advice about this? However if you would like to talk things through informally and in confidence about your arthritis, please think about calling our free Helpline on 0800 5200 520 9am - 6pm weekdays.

Maybe have a look at some of the exercise info on our website, I've added a link below to the Lets Move with Leon section, hopefully you might find this useful

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their support and experience as well.

Best wishes

Helen, Admin

Need more help - Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Nellyida
    Nellyida Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you both for the advice. Will look at both options suggested. Had seen quite a lot about intermittent fasting and have now printed off the 5 in 5 exercise information from this site. Both things can only help me.