Supplements which ones work??

Options

Hi. I have osteoarthritis in my hips and knee. I don't take any supplements and am wondering if I should try some to help my joints. I've looked into glucosamine and chondoitrin?.. they both seem to come up. Fish oils and general Joint ace products, also turmeric pills? Has anyone any advice on if anything can help? I'm vegetarian and quite a healthy eater but want to try to get better rom in my joints and ease the stiffness, thank you!

Comments

• swimmer60
    swimmer60 Member Posts: 202
    Options

@paulav

I take Turmeric and Botswella, both come up in research, and collagen for skin/joints. I try to include "good" oil in my diet eg avocado, nuts, seeds and, not being a veggie, oily fish.

There's not much research around TBH considering what a wide spread problem arthritis is.

• swimmer60
    swimmer60 Member Posts: 202
    Options

• paulav
    paulav Member Posts: 2
    Options

Yes I read about Bothwell as well. Thank you, I will give these a go. I do eat fish sometimes so yes your right about oily fish, thanks for the advice

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,022
    Options

Hello @paulav and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

You might find the following of interest.

and

Hope you find something that helps

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 375
    Options

When I was diagnosed I tried glucosamine, chondroitin, turmeric, ginger, black pepper - one by one - I couldn't find anything that worked for me but they do for some people. It may be worth trying the recommended ones one at a time to see if they work for you?

Good luck!

• My_Left_Hip
    My_Left_Hip Member Posts: 2
    edited 5. Feb 2024, 13:48
    Options

I tried some Turmeric/Ginger/Circumin & Black Pepper tablets when my knee started hurting last year. It was only fairly mild pain when walking (with an occasional sharp pain that made me gasp) and the knee pain went away completely within a week. I got them from [xxxx], they were only £6.99 for 180 tablets. Dose is 2 a day. The brand is [xxxx].

However, my left hip started hurting mid-january this year and I'm a bit nonplussed as to why it works for my knee but not hip.

Note that these supplements are available from many retailers - Noddingtonpete (moderator) Community Guidelines do not allow promoting of a particular retailer or brand

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 399
    Options

HI @paulav,

Ah, the mysterious world of Supplements! Over the last 18 months since being diagnosed I've researched and tried pretty much every option out there. My advice would be to stick to the ones with proven efficacy - these are in no particular order for Inflammation:

Montmorency Cherry

Curcumin & Black Pepper (don't bother with Turmeric as it only contains a very small amount of Curcumin)

Ceylon Cinnamon

Boswellia Serrata

Cod Liver Oil (and/or equivalent Omega 3 rich fish oils)

For diet it's Omega 3 rich foodstuffs, Olives and Olive Oil, dark green leafy veg and Walnuts

Most people don't allow enough time for them to kick in, usually 1 month + and you may find some simply don't agree with you and make your symptoms worse.

Try to buy ones which are high strength without fillers.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.