Managing OA in feet

Options

After several cortisone injections and a MRI scan in November, my doctors are no nearer to identifying the cause of my burning feet, other than agreeing I have severe arthritis. I have had nerve conduction tests, which seem to be inconclusive but I feel as though I am walking on cushions all the time and am only comfortable if my feet are bare. I feel my doctor is about to offer me strong medication, which I don't want but apart from that, I don't think he has any other suggestions. I am trying to cope with some aids and wonder whether they are suitable for me. I have a foot spa which has a massage function and I use it a couple of times a week. I also use Movilat cream, which was initially prescribed then taken off prescription owing to the cost! I now buy it because I find it is the best one for me. I have now ordered some compression socks from Functional Aid in the hope these might ease the pain a little. Apart from these aids, I don't know what else to try. I am sorry this is such a long post. but I am despairing of any solutions to my sore and burning feet. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thank you

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @Wilmur

Thank you for posting on our Online Community, we are sorry to hear that you are having problems with your feet it must be really difficult for you and frustrating that a diagnosis hasn't been confirmed yet.

You have mentioned that a few tests have been carried out including an MRI scan but still no diagnosis given, which is so important simply so that the condition can be managed correctly, and the right treatment given.

You have mentioned that you have Osteoarthritis (OA) and that you have sore burning feet, have you asked your GP if it could possibly be nerve pain and possibly a referral to a Pain management programme may be helpful as well.

Using aids and adaptations can be extremely helpful especially when moving about, speak to an Occupational therapist they can help with anything to do with aids that can help and learning to do things differently so as to not put too much of a strain on your joints. Please do try to exercise the affected joint as this is also an important part of managing the condition.

We hope that you get the right answers very soon and treatment can be started.

Best wishes

Chris (Helpline Advisor)