Say Hello

Options

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis and Fybromyalgia 2 weeks ago. I also have had Long Covid for 2 years.

I have joined the group today and just wanted to say Hi.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 975
    Options

Hi @jacquimarie and a warm welcome to the online community!

It sounds like you’re living with quite a combination of conditions - I’m sure you’ll find support and friendship from the our members, all of whom with arthritis of some sort and are always to keen their experiences. Do ask any questions you might have, or have a look through some of the posts in the Living with arthritis forum to see how others are managing their condition.

I’ve added a couple of links below about osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia that you might find useful:

Best wishes,

Anna ( Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Marg78
    Marg78 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi. Have just joined the group today. Thank you to Peter for welcoming me. Have not being diagnosed with arthritis as yet so would like to find out more about various types. I was diagnosed July 2023 with Foraminal Stenosis L5/s1...

• Nicla
    Nicla Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hello everyone.

Thank you for having me here.

I've had osteoarthritis a few years now and have just been diagnosed with generalised osteoarthritis and secondly fibromyalgia. I'm on a whole heap of meds for the pain which is particularly bad today.

I had a partial knee replacement a year ago which was successful. However, the other knee needs to be done and but I've had some other health issues that have put that on hold.

The pain in my lower back and hands has got much worse and I've had toake lots of adjustments.

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,005
    Options

Hi @Nicla and welcome to the Community. We are friendly and supportive and I hope that will be your experience as well.

You might be interested in our info on Fibromyalgia and also pain management, see :

and

I hope it is of some help.

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• spidergirl
    Options

Hi all. I'm new here,didn't know such a site existed.

My name is samantha,but sam for short.

I am 53 yrs old, and I've been living with OA and RA for 3 years finally getting a blood test in 3 weeks time. I had 2 strokes in 2017 and a tia in the same year,gp mis diagnosed me said I had vertigo? Finally got diagnosed 3 months later,struggled to work but had too.

I used to be a big runner,until 3 years ago when I tore my meniscus, gp did nothing except inject my knees. Finally 2 weeks ago I had it repaired. Still struggling.now the issue is my other knee now due to over compensation of other knee. Hands have progressed to barely being able to do normal things.Only recently had apdations in the house. I still work as I live alone and refuse to go onto benefits ,no shame in doing so at all,but I'm very independent and determined to continue to work,I've had many adapations to my work,which is amazing ,for that I'm very grateful for.

I'm struggling mentally as a former gym goer and loved to run,cannot do this anymore,cant go out with freinds as theyre all fit and well,which im thankful for,but i have to plan the simplest journey,cant drive too far as knees just wont have it.. I'm Luckily I've not gained to much weight,only because im careful in what i eat. The pain from knees and hands is so bad,the flare up doesn't seam to want to give me a break. I can't have so many different medicines due to allergens.codine doesn't seam to work now.Tramadal allergic too, gabapentin allergic too. Paracetamol does nothing. Tried various gels,doesn't do a thing,on long term blood thinners because of previous strokes and blood pressure meds,having certain meds the dr wont even consider giving me certain ones,and I'm asthmatic which is very well controlled now,due to giving up smoking over a year ago.

I've signed up for clinical trials everywhere as I'm desperate to get a bit of my life back.

Sorry for the long intro. I'm shocked so many people living with this condition.

Happy this site is here.

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hi @spidergirl Sam welcome to the online community I'm so glad you've found us and hope you'll decide to pop in regularly.

You certainly are in a difficult position having had the stroke and the TIA. Many medications ae now out of reach for you I hope you have a good medical team now other than the GP who misdiagnosed you with vertigo.

You are clearly a very independent person to be refusing to consider state support choosing instead to continue working. Ging up smoking too that is probably the best thing you can do for yourself.

It's really a shame that you aren't meeting up with friends due to struggling to drive maybe you could host a low-key night at yours rather than lose touch?

I spotted that you are already supporting other members which is lovely. I always like to see new joiners doing what they can to help others.

Unfortunately you are so right there are huge numbers of us living with Arthritis, but it also means you are not alone with it.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• spidergirl
    Options

Thank you Ellen. Thank you for the warm welcome.

Bit of a bleak day yesterday, couldn't get on top of pain. Struggled to just get out of bed .Hopefully tomorrow ive a different Dr, as mine sick. Maybe younger gp can give me a bit of hope ,it took doing something desperate to make them help me. I managed to walk the pooch today,lucky for me she's an old lady and doesn't like to be rushed. She has arthritis, she is on a medication called librella and yes i did ask the vet if i could have it, he sad no sam ,sadly not for humans..Well not yet?

I've always worked in care,because I care,although my position has been altered drastically. Organisations like this are invaluable, my gp didnt tell me about it,I had to take to Dr Google.

We all just need to know someone's there too let us know they care.

Hopefully one day we can live in a pain free world. Or well controlled pain free life.Big ask i know.

Thanks Ellen.

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Good morning @spidergirl

I am sorry yesterday was so rough but well done walking your lovely old girl. That does us so much good walking, even if not far, and also having an animal to care for. I should think especially for you being from a caring background.

Very interesting that your dog has osteoarthritis and is taking Librela which on investigation is a biological therapy. We do have biologics for humans but not for osteoarthritis yet only inflammatory arthritises. Who knows what the future might hold?

It is a shame a lot of surgeries do not recommend Versus Arthritis to people when they are diagnosed or receiving treatment because the condition can be very isolating. Being part of something like this can really help us feel less alone.

Best wishes

Ellen.