Shooting stick or similar mobility aid

Options

Hi!

I’m going to Florence soon and want to visit the many galleries, museums and churches, as well as wandering around outside (it’s said to be a very “walkable” city). I find standing on my feet for any length of time quite a challenge. Somebody suggested I take a shooting stick to rest on which I dismissed immediately but, thinking about it, I wonder if it might be a good idea after all. Does anyone here use one or anything similar. Or have any other helpful solutions when you have to stand for longer periods (15 - 20 mins plus)?

Thanks for your help!

Trish

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options

I've no experience of shooting sticks but plenty with a rollator. Have you considered this? Mine is fibre glass so lightweight, very maneouvrable and has a seat. It would also be handy for the long queues at airports. On the other hand, most museums and galleries seem to have lots of seats around.

I hope you enjoy the trip. It sounds lovely.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Trish22
    Trish22 Member Posts: 6
    Options

Too late for rollator for this trip but I’ll explore them for future use. Hope you’re right about there being plenty of benches🤞

thanks for your response!

• Sandym6
    Sandym6 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Best thing I took to japan (another walking place) was a collapsible stool. It's like 4 stacked dinner plates in size when compacted. It fitted easily in my daypack and had a webbing handle so I could leave it expanded and swing it on my shoulder to move and stop within short time.

It can expand to different heights - the tallest being 18". My brother used it and he is over 20 stone.

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,042
    Options

Hello @Sandym6 and welcome to the Community. We are friendly and supportive and I hope that will be your experience as well.

Thank you for your idea - it looks very good and something easy to carry. Finding something lightweight is always useful.

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm