Tens and voltarol

Options

Hi, I am waiting for a knee replacement in June/july. I have been using Tens machine and voltarol at night. Is it ok yo use this long term.

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @IanR

Thank you for posting on our Chat to Helpline forum and welcome to the Online Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience too. It is good to hear that Tens and Voltarol is helping the pain in your knee at night and I am glad that you are now on a waiting list for knee replacement surgery.

It is not usually the case that you would need to use Tens and Voltarol long term after you have had your knee replacement. During the recovery period, appropriate pain medication will be prescribed for you by your healthcare professionals as well as exercises to help your recovery. You should be guided about what to do at each stage according to your individual clinical circumstances.

If you would like to have more replies to your post, you are welcome to repost on our Living with arthritis — Versus Arthritis Forum which is a positive and supportive space where you can ask questions and share experiences with others. If you would like to talk about your arthritis informally and in confidence, you are also welcome to call our Free Helpline on 0800 5200 520 weekdays 9am - 6pm.

I hope you find the information given below of some help.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their support and experience as well.

Best wishes,

Fiona, Helpline Advisor

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 532
    Options

Hi @IanR

I have used my tens machine for over 10 years, now on my 2nd, for various aches and pains and not continuously. Sometimes for a week on and off, dependent on how I feel. I can go for weeks without it and just using my painkillers. I don' t think it's recommended to use them overnight but on my bad days I have it plugged in and use it as necessary thorughout the day. I have a I-phone shoulder bag for mine as the belt clip is as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

You would probably be better using voltarol overnight. I've not used mine with a cream as I find the pads don't stay on very well when I have.

love n hugs

trish xx