My hip is done

Options
13»

Comments

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 388
    Options

@alwayssewing - Oh, I'm so sorry to hear, I hope you are feeling better soon and that the 16th May comes around quickly for you. Good idea to wear a mask for a couple of weeks before then, I agree with @Zimmer I really enjoyed being well during the pandemic and happily wear a mask now if I feel the need.

Welcome @Christinemum12345 hoping we can help.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,477
    Options

Keep the germy people away too. If they have a cold or any infection guests should have the sense to avoid visiting in the week or so before your op.

No harm at all wearing a mask after all it's your surgery and you need it @alwayssewing

take care

Toni x

• alwayssewing
    Options

I am just about out the other side of this virus now. I got horrible cold sores too and I haven't had that for a long while. I had three days where I felt like my head would explode and ended up taking codeine which helped a bit.

I am a bit worried that my legs feel weaker and am getting more pain in my right (unoperated) leg both knee and hip and am back to two crutches for now. I am slowly building back up with exercises as I didn't do much while ill. We have spent time at the allotment the last few days tidying and getting rid of rubbish as its too cold to put plants out yet.

My pre op is on Monday so hopefully all will be good for the 16th.

• JPT
    JPT Member Posts: 142
    Options

@alwayssewing glad to hear you are feeling better. Working on the allotment will make up for missing some of the exercises I'm sure. Keeping fingers crossed for you for the 16th. x

• Janlyn
    Options

@alwayssewing Good to hear you're out the other side of the virus and completely understandable that your legs feel weaker but good to hear you are slowly building back up with exercises and on the allotment. I'm sure it all helps. Good luck with your pre-op - not long now 😊

• Zimmer
    Zimmer Member Posts: 39
    Options

Hope you're feeling better hon, cos I know how you feel being as my partner brought home a wonderful present from the hospital a couple of weeks ago and promptly shared it with me, so much for masks eh lols.

It completely floors you, especially if you’re not 100% but my trainer, from my good boost classes, sent me exercises to do at home to stop me losing muscle tone again. It doesn't take long to lose strength does it, annoying, frustrating and upsetting all rolled into one.

Yeah I was knackered after doing some, but can't go backwards again you know. Hope some fresh air and doing something you enjoy will make you feel like yourself again xx

• alwayssewing
    Options

@Zimmer Yes it does floor you. I wasn't that bad even when I got Covid a few days after they said everyone could stop wearing masks..

I am feeling somewhat better now and am exercising and walking again although I still use one crutch due to the unoperated leg being painful in the knee and hip.

I had my pre - op today and all seemed well so everything is set to go ahead in 18 days from today.

• Janlyn
    Options
  • alwayssewing
    alwayssewing Member Posts: 38
    Options

I spent the morning prepping food for after the next op. I bagged up home made burgers for the freezer in the shed and I have a Greek style beef stew and chilli con carne in the slow cooker (I use roasting bags to cook two meals at a time). My husband can cook but these days its stuff that can be shoved in the oven like roasties or chips with breaded chicken fillets, fish or sausages. I plan on making other meals till there are enough for a couple of weeks or more so I can concentrate on healing.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,477
    Options

Great forward think there @alwayssewing you will be eating healthy stuff not the things your husband can heat up for you. Much better when you need good food for recovery.

I hope you are enjoying the better weather too?

Toni x

• alwayssewing
    Options

@frogmorton I did similar last time but only a weeks worth due to the amount of pain I was in. We have mostly had from scratch meals all our lives so I check anything ready made to see that it is as healthy as it can be and people would be amazed if they read ingredients lists. I checked a pack of frozen raw chicken fillets the other day in farmfoods, I wanted to know the water content. Right at the end it said "contains citrus fibre ", why and what is it? Some people are allergic to citrus fruits and they might not check the back of a pack of raw chicken !

• JPT
    Options

@alwayssewing you are really organised! My hubby does the cooking now and it's not always the healthiest but he did really well ensuring I had enough fruit and veg variety. The novelty has definitely worn off now though... chips are back on the menu regularly!

• Janlyn
    Options

@alwayssewing well done - it's so much better to have home-made/good quality food for recovery. I found I got cravings for oranges and orange juice, just couldn't stop for quite a few days!

• Bevdav123
    Bevdav123 Member Posts: 27
    Options

You are well organised, not that good here, but the husband is a good cook and I’m getting used to being waited on hand and foot, he goes back to work tomorrow so I’ll be fending for myself , how long have you had to wait for your second op? I also need the other hip replaced but I was told 7 year waiting list!

• alwayssewing
    Options

@Bevdav123 If you read page 2 it has the whole saga on it. I am very fortunate as I was able to choose a private hospital via the nhs and their lists are not long. They were able to do my first operation very quickly once the ex-rays were sent to the surgeon. I had to reschedule the second replacement because I caught a nasty virus. I am over it now and being very cautious around others.

• JPT
    Options

@Bevdav123 I was also very fortunate to be referred to a private hospital under the NHS and only waited 3 months. It is worth looking into.