Needing Surgery for a new hip and two new knees!

Hello I am a newbie asking for some advice , I have been on the waiting list for 65 plus weeks now to have a THR to my left hip the top of the waiting list is 70 plus weeks. I have a BMI of over 40 my motability and mental health is so low now coping with constant pain . I have also been told now that I am Anemic and need to have a Iron infusion before the operation, I was always a busy person now my days are spent in bed or sat in the chair because things are so bad . Is there anyone here that has had a THR that have had a high BMI and could tell me how they got one please once having the surgery please.

Comments

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 410

Hello @ozzy62 and welcome to the online community.

Sorry to hear you concerns regarding hip replacement the following link may be of help....

Please keep posting and I am sure others will connect with you shortly.

Best wishes @Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• dianafox
    dianafox Member Posts: 2

I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you're facing and the long wait for your total hip replacement (THR). It's understandable that this situation is taking a toll on your physical and mental well-being.

While I cannot provide direct experiences from individuals with a high BMI who have undergone THR, I can offer some general advice and considerations:

1. Consult with your healthcare team: Discuss your concerns and challenges with your healthcare providers, including your orthopedic surgeon. They can provide personalized advice based on your specific health condition and circumstances.
    2. Addressing High BMI: It's not uncommon for healthcare professionals to recommend weight loss before joint replacement surgery, as a lower BMI can reduce the risk of complications and enhance the success of the surgery. Your healthcare team may provide guidance on a safe and effective weight loss plan.
    3. Preoperative Anemia: Addressing anemia before surgery is crucial for your overall health and recovery. Your healthcare team will guide you through the necessary steps, such as iron infusions, to improve your hemoglobin levels.
    4. Physical Rehabilitation: Following THR, rehabilitation is essential. Your healthcare team will design a rehabilitation plan to help you regain mobility and strength. It's crucial to follow their guidance and actively participate in postoperative exercises.
    5. Mental Health Support: Coping with chronic pain and the anticipation of surgery can be emotionally challenging. Consider seeking support from mental health professionals or support groups to help you navigate these difficulties.
    6. Advocacy: If you're facing an extended wait time, consider discussing your situation with your healthcare providers. They may be able to provide additional insights or explore options to expedite the process based on your health needs.

Remember, each person's experience with joint replacement surgery can vary, and it's crucial to work closely with your healthcare team for personalized advice and support. If possible, connecting with others who have undergone THR for shared experiences may provide additional insights and support.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764

Hi @ozzy62,

I can't help with BMI or mental health but between us Mr SW and I have four THRs and I:d recommend you get some physio to get your muscles ready to support a new hip. It will really help both before and after.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ozzy62
    ozzy62 Member Posts: 18

Hi , thank you for all your advice I am unable to lose weight as I cannot exercise due to really poor mobility, my surgeon has explained the risks but I feel I am between a rock and a hard place. If I don’t get it done soon I am going to end up in a wheel chair I am only 61 ! It is the unknown that frightens me most . I try to push myself and then end up paying the price for days afterwards.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764

@ozzy62 , I was once in dire straits with, I think, a hip and a physio told me to do only 3 repetitions of each exercise every other day. And then build up the number of repetitions slowly. I couldn't believe it would make any difference but, amazingly, it did. And the day off made me more eager for the next lot.

Of course this was for my hip not for weight loss but weight loss is mostly aboit diet not exercise. Have a read here https://clic-ctsa.org/health/lose-weight-without-exercise/

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 508

@ozzy62 I really sympathise with you.

I recently had a hip replacement and it was delayed due to anaemia. A side effect of the iron tablets was that I felt so much better and I am sure they stopped some of the painful/tingling in my legs, especially at night. I was told not only would I be safer during the operation but make a better, more comfortable and speedier recovery with a better haemoglobin level. So maybe a good idea to get that sorted out and see if it lifts your mood too?

My BMI was okay but I was concerned about putting on weight whilst immobile but actually found I could keep my weight under control and even lose a little with intermittent fasting. I really thought I couldn't do it but tried the 14:10 each day where I could eat/drink whatever I wanted for ten hours but only black tea/coffee/water for the other 14. I actually found it easier thank I thought and felt better in myself. My cholesterol level improved too.

Are your painkillers effective? If you can get effective pain relief you might be able to find you can exercise the appropriate muscles to help with recovery and to prepare for surgery.

Wishing you all the very best, x