Sacroillitis

Anyone living with this condition like me?

I ended up with it due to years of working in an office sat at a desk all day without enough regular breaks. Also never got diagnosed as repeated MRIs were done on lumbar spine over the years (!) and it wasn’t until last year I was seen by a Senior Physiotherapist who requested a whole spine scan - which picked it up. By then I’d been suffering for 22 years!

The consultant told me there was no treatment other than painkillers and regular exercise. I’ve had chiropractic treatment for the last 22 years and the jury’s out as to whether it’s done more harm than good! I’m now wondering whether osteopathy would have been better for me as they treat muscles whereas most chiropractors don’t (some do both muscles and joints).

Comments

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 812
    edited 15. Feb 2024, 13:37

Hi @Kazzabezz

I hadn't heard of this condition before your post but I've had a couple of issues with my sacroiliac joint. I dislocated my right sacroiliac joint about 30 years ago and saw an osteopath for a period of time. After being diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis in 2020 it was found that the PsA has caused some deterioration in my sacroiliac joints - particularly my right. I was prescribed lidocaine patches and have found them to work when my right sacroiliac joint is painful. When it flares up I put a patch on my lower back for the recommended 12 hours a day and after about 4-5 days I find my pain has subsided.