Lumber problems.

Options

Hello, I have osthioarthritis in my lumber, I've lost 4 inches due to it & am now having spasms when I do any housework. I cycle for an hour & cross train for an hour at the gym, with no pain. Might you suggest any stretches please. The only one I do is to stand & lean back, which is a great feeling.

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @charis

Thank you for posting on the Online Community. I am sorry to hear about the pain and spasms you are experiencing in your lumbar spine due to osteoarthritis (OA). Pain can drag you down and limits daily activities. It sounds as if you are trying to keep as active as possible, though housework is becoming more of a struggle. It is good that you are exercising at the gym.

However, the tendency sometimes can be to overdo it and do too much exercise in one go. It may help to have some guidance from one of the gym instructors or personal trainers. You could ask your GP about referral to a physiotherapist or the musculoskeletal (MSK) service. Your GP can also review your pain medication and explore other treatment options.

I have included a link to some back exercises. Pacing yourself and balancing activity with rest is also an important part of managing osteoarthritis (OA) as well as eating a healthy balanced diet and keeping a healthy weight. A heat or cold pack may help too. NSAID gels may help to reduce the number of tablets you are taking.

If you would like to have more replies to your post, you are welcome to repost on our Living with arthritis — Versus Arthritis Forum which is a positive and supportive space where you can ask questions and share experiences with others. If you would like to talk about your arthritis informally and in confidence, you are also welcome to call our Free Helpline on 0800 5200 520 weekdays 9am - 6pm.

I hope you find the information given below of some help.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their support and experience as well.

Best wishes,

Fiona, Helpline Advisor

• charis
    charis Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hello Fiona,

Thank you very much for all your help,

Best wishes,

Charis.