Safest wheelchair ever built

Options

ThIs is my new castor-wobble-free camber-eating wheelchair I'm building. It is based upon this prototype:

All I need now is to add a seat and brakes.

It uses <50% energy than any wheelchair on the market and doubles a wheelchair user's life-span in a manual chair by substantially reducing bending and twisting.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,015
    Options

Hello @notHarry and welcome to the Community.

Your design certainly looks interesting. You'll have to let us know how the road test goes.

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• AngelaSmith123
    AngelaSmith123 Member Posts: 3
    edited 21. Feb 2024, 13:33
    Options

Hi @notHarry your wheelchair looks amazing what about the weight? Is it very heavy ? I’m a wheelchair user, can’t go in the car by myself as I can’t lift my chair in and out the boot.

• Redlady07
    Redlady07 Member Posts: 25
    Options

Don't think much to the seating yet! And with that rigid piece between 2 wheels, I take it that it does not fold?

• notHarry
    notHarry Member Posts: 9
    Options

It's aluminium, so is light. Once testing is completed this year, it should be possible to create a new version that will be even lighter.

• notHarry
    Options

The engineers have promised a seat + brakes by the end of the month. And I hope to test them 6-7 March. The rigid piece is telescopic, so it will extend for faster downhill journeys. Upon full expansion, it will pop into two pieces. With a further modification, the rear axle will be quick-release from this rigid telescope.

• Redlady07
    Redlady07 Member Posts: 25
    Options

I meant the block of wood between the 2 wheels. That does not seem telescopic. I think most ppl want one that goes in a car, Hence light and foldable.

• notHarry
    Options

The wood is not telescopic. This is just what I had to sit on as a temporary measure to test the wheelchair steered.

The telescopic part is the square section joining the two axes. So when going down hill it can be made 30cm longer, and therefore more stable at speed

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options

Wow @notHarry

You will be off! We won't see you for dust it looks amazing I can see it already 😊

• notHarry
    Options

👍

Wheelchair manufacturers specify wheelchairs can't go above 7kph, walking speed.

Why are non-wheelchair users allowed to go faster, but those restricted in wheelchairs effectively castrated to below 7kph?

It is not fair

It is D.I.S.C.R.I.M.I.A.T.I.O.N.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options

Perhaps the actual wheelchair can do more damage if there is a collision? I don't know.... or could you run over small children being less able to just 'stop'?

Interesting though though.....🤔

• notHarry
    Options

Better make wheelchairs static, Just to allay the concerns of the two-legs. It's their planet after all. Wheelchair people are just a nuisance and inconvenience 👆

• notHarry
    Options

Prototype wheelchair update 12 February.