Help struggling with my pain

Options

Thought I'd post today as I am in alot of pain and very weepy, feeling sorry for myself I have osteoarthritis of the knees, hips, hands and shoulders also back problems and depression. Iam trying to get out more but walking is extremely painful and I have a walking stick to help me,I take morphine but my DR has reduced it from 60mg twice a day to 30mg twice a day this has been done gradually for the last year does anyone out there have any advice for me please. I have a big family but feel I let them down because of my lack of mobility

Comments

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 278
    Options

Hello @Nanna8

Sorry to hear you are struggling today.

I am believing in myself more and listening to my body yesterday I was the same depressed weepy in pain and struggling and hard day don't know why meds or menopause so I binged watched TV moved only for the toilet every hour feel better today so must have needed rest 🤷‍♀️

Everyone is different and I to have a large family who cant see my pain so obviously don't understand would not wish on anyone but to feel my pain for one day would make them understand😢

Treat yourself to a nice distraction and look after yourself as I found no one else will❤

Take care @Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Catfriend
    Catfriend Member Posts: 5
    Options

So sorry to read about your pain Nanna8. I have OA of the hip, which used to give me mainly lower back pain, but now it tends to manifest itself in strong waves of pain shooting down my thigh to my knee. I'm 80, live alone and find it hard to cope sometimes. You say you use a walking stick, which is fine, but have you tried using two sticks? OK, it isn't very practical sometimes as obviously you don't have a hand free, but I find that I can get along much easier with two sticks rather than one. One stick causes me a lot of upper arm and elbow pain, whereas with two I feel far more balanced. The other thing is have you tried a rollator? I had this suggested to me by quite a few people who felt they had helped, but I resisted as I felt ancient enough without using one of those things! However, I recently caved in and got myself one from Amazon, and it is a gamechanger! I can actually go for walks with it and I feel safe and balanced, and my only problem is that it encourages you to maybe walk a bit further than you would and you pay the price next day (which I am currently doing). The good thing is you can sit down on it for a rest if you feel the need. I'm going to keep at it, as the hospital told me to exercise and it really isn't that hard since I bought the rollator. To heck with what people think!

I do wish you well. It is so hard.

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 402
    Options

@Nanna8 pain is pain, but I think there is joint pain and then there is muscle pain.

I don't know how obvious this is but without painkiller all I can feel is joint pain, but with painkiller all I can feel is muscle pain, and naturally I can become twice as strong by taking muscle exercise,