Hello

HI, I have been told by my GP only, I have osteoarthritis in my hands, I feel have it in my hips, back and feet, but not confirmed. I have asked about being referred regarding this but just told by my GP - who just does a flip of their hand gesture and say " its only osteoarthritis, we just carry on with the pain killers and injections" Some days feel harder to move about than others, I take co-codamol ( from my GP) which helps with the pain, I have cortisone injections in my thumb base joint which helps alot and last for about 6 months, I have had these for about 6 yrs now. I am 56 and still work full time. Would like advice if just my GP that confirms the osteoarthritis and arthritis or do I have to have a referral. I also have Fibromyalgia confirmed about 20 yrs ago by rheumatology.

Comments

• PJoanne
    PJoanne Moderator Posts: 139

Hello @Emja, welcome to the community and thank you for posting. You might like to give the Helpline a call and you can find out about the helpline here : Get help | Helpline, online community, arthritis virtual assistant (versusarthritis.org) .

I am sure someone from the community will be online to share their own experiences.

Best, @PJoanne

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Hi Emja .simular experience, no one believed me ,despite swelling visible on hands. Knees.drs dismiss as its normal and nothing. It isnt normal or nothing. It is debilitating. Persistence is all I can advise. It took me 3 years to get noticed as I had carried on working. Dont give up,let your voice be heard..I think mine was too quite. Take care.

Sam