Hello, newly diagnosed

Options

Hello All,

Thank you for accepting me into the group. I am new and would welcome any thoughts or experiences. I have been diagnosed with advanced degenerative changes in the CMC joint at the base of both my thumbs and have now been referred to s surgical team either for guided injections or surgery. Has anyone had any experience of this and could possibly enlightened me what to expect? I have been to the musculoskeletal clinic for an injection but it didn't have any affect. Thank you I'm advance. Rachel

Comments

• PJoanne
    PJoanne Moderator Posts: 40
    Options

Hello @RachRG

Welcome to the forum, we hope that you will find support and advice from this community and thank you for your post.

This link may be interesting to you : Hand and wrist surgery | Treatment options | Versus Arthritis and you may want to use this link to available resources as well : Get help | Helpline, online community, arthritis virtual assistant (versusarthritis.org). (keep scrolling down the page for this one - there's a lot there!)

Best Wishes @PJoanne

• Alisa
    Alisa Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi Rach,

I have arthritis in my wrists -Im replying because I had guided injections for my wrist operation a few years ago. It was a way of them doing the operation using local anaesthetic and involved several injections in various places in my arm and shoulder all done by one person whilst guided by another who directed them using some sort of scanning device. The anaesthetic was calculated to last a good few hours after the operation too so that it kept the pain at bay for the worst time.

A friend of mine (a potter) had surgery for base of thumb arthritis and it was very successful for him.

Alisa

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,012
    Options

Hello @Alisa and welcome to the Community. Good to hear that the guided injections worked for you. Makes a lot of sense to make sure the treatment gets right to the spot.

If you need any more help just post on the forum or head over to our website which has a lot of useful information on it. In the meantime welcome and please keep posting now you are here and let us know how you are getting on.

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options

Hi @RachRG

Nice to meet you.

Are you thinking of a trapeziectomy (injections unfortunately just do not work for everyone) surgery to sort it out hopefully permanently?

If so then I did you a search of threads on the subject:

I've got a friend having hers done tomorrow!

Take care

Toni x