Methotrexate

Options

Hello

I have been prescribed methotrexate yesterday.

When should I start it

Thanks Graham

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hello @Grahamf1

Welcome to the online community.

By prescribed Methotrexate (MTX) I hope you mean that you have it in your possession rather than that you are waiting for the Rheumatologist to request your GP prescribe it?

Many of our members take this medication and each probably has their own day/time to take it to fit in with their own individual situation. For instance some people feel tired the following day so prefer to take it on a Friday night so that they can lie in the following day if they work Monday to Friday.

I wonder whether you have read this? It just might help you to decide when might be best for you.

Or this

I very much hope that Methotrexate will get your symptoms under control quickly.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options

Hi @Grahamf1

I have always favoured Friday night (I mean 8pm ish) so I sleep off most side effects. Weekends I can relax a bit more.

I hope you really do well on MTX most of us here who take it do. Any side effects do shout one of us will likely have a tip or two to try.

Best of luck

Toni x

• Gadgetgirl
    Gadgetgirl Member Posts: 38
    Options

Hi @Grahamf1 . I do the same as Frogmorton and take mine Sat evening about half hour before I'm due to go to sleep, that way I sleep through the side effects. I don't take my Folic until the Sunday evening or Monday morning so that I make sure it's not too close to when I take the MTX. Good luck

• Splodge
    Splodge Member Posts: 14
    Options

It's up to you unless the box stipulates when to take it; much the same as any medication.