Osteoarthritis of shoulder

Options

I am new to posting for advice and have recently been diagnosed with grade 4 osteoarthritis of left shoulder joint and also arthritis in right.I have been adviced that a joint replacement is needed in left shoulder. I had breast cancer left breast nearly 3 years ago and this hasnt helped and previous arthritis in finger joints over 30 years ago.

NHS waiting times probably means long term pain.I can no longer do tai chi which I did enjoy. This is my first post here. I am 72 years old.Any advice re excercise or experience of shoulder joint replacement would be useful. Also I find getting enough sleep challenging due to pain/stiffness. Thanks.

Comments

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 417
    edited 20. Feb 2024, 20:27
    Options

@Rosie14 I fancied doing Tai Chi but never really found the time, so I incorporated what I could of slow breathing speed movements into everyday life. I particularly like, reaching up into the cupboard for the sugar lumps, or lifting the electric kettle. I think my toughest move is reaching behind for something I accidentally left on the back of the settee. I don't expect to do anything near normal speed.

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 991
    Options

Hello @Rosie14 and welcome to the online community,

Gentle exercise and movement helps keep you flexible and can also help manage the pain of arthritis, so it’s a great idea to find other exercise if you can no longer enjoy tai chi. Hopefully our members will come along with some other suggestions, but meanwhile, take a look at the Versus Airthrie pages on exercise for shoulder joints and also on suggestions for better sleeping. I’ve posted the links below.

Best wishes,

Anna ( Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• crinkly
    crinkly Member Posts: 149
    Options

Hi Rosie14.

There are at least two detailed forum threads following the process of shoulder replacements done 3 and 4 years ago respectively. One was for me - a member with OA - the otherfor Lindalegs - a member with RA -and you will find them by using the search facility at the top of this page. Both brought good results in terms of pain relief plus an acceptable range of movement.

There is also a link on the VA site to a useful book (available online, with lots of well-tested tips for dealing with the recovery period) written by Michelle Conway who had both shoulders replaced within a short time-frame.

Most important is to be prepared for a lengthy rehab without expecting a perfect outcome and to be guided by your physiotherapist in terms of exercise. Your recovery programme will be tailor-made for you so don't worry if others are doing things differently or appear to be making faster progress. Beforehand just continue to do whatever you are able to manage without causing increased pain.

I was your age when having my replacement and certainly remain thankful for it. I hope your experience is as positive as mine. If you have specific questions you can post them here or send either of us a private message. 😊

• Rosie14
    Rosie14 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi crinkly

Thanks for your reply, very encouraging ,thanks.Never thought I would need a shoulder joint replacement ,it happened so quickly after my breast cancer and surgery.Yes I try and keep active and actually its when I relax it's more painful.Will certainly look at the links.