Living with osteoarthritis

Options

I was diagnosed about 1.5 years ago and the only advice at the time was do exercises!

so I used to walk my dog (a lab) everyday me also so hot yoga 3 to 4 times a week and Pilates. Now some days I can barely walk. I am so totally shocked by how quickly this has happened. I thought of myself as a fit person and consequently because I can’t exercise I am in depression. Some days are better than others. I can walk my dog but with lots of rests.

ive now been offered an injection in my back as it appears the pain is coming from there .eg I can’t stand for very long. Hopefully it will help. The pain clinic are also going to take me through exercises I can do. Oh joy. I mustn’t push myself anymore.

I just can’t believe how quickly this has happened. It’s so crazy.

I am an extremely young (so I thought) 63 year old. I’m hyper mobile which I’ve been told is also the problem.

reading everyone else’s conversations and comments have really helped.

so glad I’ve found you

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options

Hi @felicityanne nice to meet you☺️

Funny how rapidly OA can worsen for some people yet with others it can stay 'stable' for years and years.

My own MIL had an -ray on her hip (mild OA they said) within two years it was bone on bone and surgery was all done so I know it can happen.

I am glad to hear you are having help from the pain clinic I hope it will help.

This community is really a great place to be I agree.

Toni x

• shazb
    shazb Member Posts: 11
    Options

Hi @felicityanne welcome. Your story touched me as I can so identify with it, I too was shocked by the speed of how quickly my hip deteriorated to the point where I could barely walk. As with Toni’s MIL story above it had gone from early onset to bone on bone within 18 months (a long, hopefully soon forgotten 18 months). I had a hip replacement 3 weeks ago and thankfully on the mend. I too was depressed as previously had led a full and active life, very independent, just retired and looking forward to going places. Luckily I live across from a leisure centre and they have Aquafit classes during the day so on a good week I went 3 times a week, it was the only place where I felt normal. Classes are fun and I truly believe they have helped post operation. Perhaps this is something you could look into? I know I’ll be heading back there asap. Good luck with everything x

• CarylW
    CarylW Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hello @felicityanne and welcome to our forum. It's good to see that two members have already responded to you, and I am sure there will be more!

Unfortunately for some people OA does develop quickly, and can be very painful. Exercise is a good way to keep yourself going, but sometimes it needs to be gentle!

I don't know if you have explored our website? There are lots of suggestions of gentle exercises, and ways to relieve pain. I will post a couple of links below:

If you live near a Nuffield gym, they do a free joint pain management course which has had excellent reviews https://www.nuffieldhealth.com/about-us/our-impact/healthy-life/joint-pain-programme.

Please do keep in touch with us and let us know how you are doing!

Best wishes

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• TLee
    TLee Member Posts: 88
    Options

The worst of my pain is in my left hip--and when I say worst, I mean it can be some of the worst pain I've felt EVER! Yesterday it felt like I had somehow strained or maybe slightly dislocated the joint, though I can't recall any specific incident that might have caused it. If I moved the wrong way, even to turn over in bed last night, I'd nearly scream the house down! Things like this happen regularly and yes, it is depressing. Some days I think I'd barely move out of bed except that I also have pets to feed, walk and clean up after. I do find that I start to feel better (not great, but better) after a few days, and I try to keep that in mind.

I used to be very active, mainly walking, and I can remember when 5 miles a day was a nice stroll. It is sad that those days are gone, but I try to focus on what I can do right now. I do still walk, if I go too far it's more of a hobble, when I can't even hobble I find nice bench in the sun.

What I'm saying in my silly, only-half-serious way is that I understand the depression. In fact I have some really dark days when the only thing I can do is wait it out. So far I've always found my way back to a place where things look brighter, and then I can focus on the good things I still have in my life instead of what I've given up. You are so right that 63 is not old (I'm about to be 64), but sometimes jokingly tell my husband that I'm ready for the rocking chair on the porch. And well, that might be quite comfortable! Oh, and finding good pain management will be good too! Best of luck.