Pre hip replacement nerves and support

Options

Hello

I'm currently waiting on a left hip replacement op and my pre op is 21st March I'm I'm such pain every day & cannot do much

I also feel so very anxious as I'm terrified of needles and the op ! I don't think I can cope with being awake for it

Any advice welcome?

I feel so down and crying but I just want to be able to walk again and live my life with my wife and dog again

Anybody local to ayrshire ?

Thanks so much

Jean

Comments

• swimmer60
    swimmer60 Member Posts: 202
    Options

@jean

I felt very anxious before my hip replacement, but, like you, I was in such pain I couldn't wait to have the op. I didn't want to be awake so I had a light anaesthetic and a spinal injection that numbed me from the waist down. The anaesthetist was lovely and reassuring and apparently I counted to 3 and then I was out!

I woke up pain free. It was a minor miracle.

16 weeks later, I am swimming, going to the gym and walking 3-5 miles is no problem. Of course I have aches, both sides, and off days, but its been so worth it, you'll see. Take care.

• Billy85
    Billy85 Member Posts: 21
    Options

@anxioussarah

That's great news you have a date for your pre op for your hip replacement.

I'm currently on the waiting list for mine, I was told it would be around 6/7 months time, I've been on the list for 3 months so far. How long did you wait if you don't mind me asking?

I, like you am in a lot of pain and struggle every day. I love coming on here and reading other people's stories and journey's. It helps me prepare more for the future and know what to expect from people who are going through similar situations.

I'm also local to Ayrshire 😃

Take care, hope all goes well.

Billy

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 309
    Options

Hi @anxioussarah Congratulations for your hip replacement. There are many hip replacement diaries here than can help you to understand what is ahead. I'm in my 6th week and I can't believe how bad I was.

Just before the surgery I was terrified. When they brought me to the anaesthetists room, I started shaking and crying and I was about to have a panick attack. The anaesthetists were talking to me to keep me distracted joking and laughing. When they put me the epidural but it was very easy, much more easier than I thought. One of the nurses was talking about her two years old girl and her tantrums, they put me a oxigen mask and it was the last thing I remember. They woke me up to tell me everything was over.

Keep us updated, please. Good luck!

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 401
    Options

@anxioussarah Welcome - I'm not local to Ayrshire but notice Billy has replied and said that he is.

I think we have all been terrified but those of us that are out of the other side seem to all say similar. That it was all worth it and that our anaesthetists were wonderfully reassuring. I think it is best to tell your medical team you are terrified and let them reassure you as I am sure they are used to doing.

It is major surgery but extremely common and when I told my surgeon he had done a wonderful job he replied that he hadn't done anything special, he was only doing his job. It is wonderful though and I feel so lucky to have had this opportunity. I really can't imagine having to live with that pain for the rest of my life, and I hope the thought of a better life for you will get you through.

The waiting seems to go on forever in some respects, but suddenly it will be your turn and I hope in the meantime you will ask us questions and keep us updated about you.

Take care ☺️

• anxioussarah
    Options

Hi Janlyn

Thanks for your message I appreciated that

Just a quick question as I'm worried about the canula & needles (when I get a blood test I need to put on numbing cream )

Does the canula hurt much and Is it in your arm ?

Thanks Jean

• Newyear
    Newyear Member Posts: 20
    Options

Hello,

I felt exactly the same as you! I was in excruciating pain and quality of life was 0. I had intended to have a general anaesthetic however after speaking with the anethatist I agreed to the spinal block.Still terrified me though. You do not go into the main theatre until you have the block which for me was so much better than seeing all those lights and people in gowns. He also said I could have sedation as I told him I could not cope with knowing what was happening. I went into the room and chatted to the nurse and that’s the last thing I remember! My op was put on the 3 month wait as it was so bad with crumbling ect total agony BUT I had to wait a year! As soon as I came round I had no arthritic pain at all!!! It was and is a complete miracle I really have no other way to describe it! Later in thdd we day I took a few steps which was painful due to the surgery but this does not last long. I really do wish you all the best and don’t be afraid it’s fantastic. I will need my other hip doing in the future and am not worried in the slightest in fact I will look forward to it and living a pain free life is just amazing!x

• JPT
    JPT Member Posts: 146
    Options

@anxioussarah I feel your anxiety - My op is on 6th March, just over a week away. The journals that @Janlyn and @Nurina and others have kept have helped me so much and are well worth reading from the start of their recoveries. I am still scared and have stupid irrational thoughts about the op, but as you say, we have to get rid of this pain and get our lives back, so this is the only way.

I am hopefully going to start posting my reovery, and hopefully you will find it useful as I have with others stories.

Wishing you all the best

Julie x

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 401
    Options

@anxioussarah I don't know if this helps or not but I actually cannot remember the canula. I admit being a bit concerned before I went into hospital about needles and other bits and pieces but really there was nothing I remember being painful or uncomfortable. I had feared so much but honestly felt the staff and surroundings made me relax so much and I suppose once on the drugs they worked to relax me too.

I would suggest that you tell the staff about anything your are frightened of and I am sure they will help. I talked about some of my fears at my pre-op and that helped too.

Take care and keep asking if you have more questions.

• JPT
    JPT Member Posts: 146
    Options

@anxioussarah the nurse today on my pre op call said I really wouldnt feel anything, but if I were you I would phone your nurse and discuss your concerns, I find they really want to help and reassure us in any way they can and say to ask them anything .

Julie

• Shellbeth
    Shellbeth Member Posts: 15
    Options

Hi @anxioussarah

I am now nearly 7 weeks post op after my THR and can't stress enough that you really do have nothing to fear. I worried myself sick - and there was no need.

Your anaesthetist and surgeon will come speak to you on the day of your surgery - and will be able to tailor your sedation to your needs. I slept right through my surgery which was perfect for me.... equally a number of other ladies on my ward stayed awake through their surgery and all reported very positive experiences too.

The spinal injection - took about 5 minutes to do and did not hurt at all ! The only unpleasant bit was the freezing spray they apply - which doesn't hurt just made me jump.

You'll no doubt have a few uncomfortable days after surgery .... but it's not horrendous and is manageable with the pain relief you'll be given.

This may sound strange - but give yourself permission to feel excited ! It really will change your life in a positive way - the surgery is nothing compared to the years of living with the arthritis pain.