Patches and ointments

Options

Are there any pain relief ointments or patches available on prescription that people have had success with please? I'm having no relief with NSAID medication and concerned about the side effects so wondering if topical creams or patches could be worth a try? Thank you....

Comments

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 290
    Options

Morning @cox1058

I was prescribed Ibuprofen gel which takes the edge off pain in my elbows as I have OA.

Maybe worth a try ???

Good luck @Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 547
    Options

Hi

It's best to speak to your GP.

I also can't take NSAIDS and have been prescribed all sorts of different things before trying patches which are very strong.

I am currently on buprenorphine patches for pain relief after everything else stopped working. However, they did work well to start with, you use one a week. I've been on mine since last August and the pain has got totally unbearable now and I also have to take tramadol 4 times a day to be able to get through each day. 8 days now until I see the hip clinic when I hope they'll have some good news for me.

Trish

• cox1058
    cox1058 Member Posts: 18
    Options

I'm battling with drs as Im convinced this could be fibromyalgia which my daughter also has. Everything Ive been given for this supposed arthritis just doesnt work...just get other issues as side effects. I wondered if patches could be an option. Ive asked about tramadol but they won't prescribe it anymore here...

• Trish9556
    Options

I have been prescribed

2 x 30mg codeine 4 times a day with 2 x paracetamol 4 times a day midway between the codeine. Took it for about 3 years until it stopped being effective

Gabapentin 900 mg a day for about 10 years until it stopped working

Nefopam 4 times a day when I had a bad shoulder. It works

Tramadol 2 x 4 times a day for 18 months until it stopped working then I was put on my patches and now top them up with the 4 tramadol a day.

I have also had amitriptyline and others that are similar. Didn't like them so came off them.

I've taken a mix of these for about 20 years for various joints and stuff like codeine more than once.

I also have a tens machine which works well, red tiger balm is similar to deep heat and ralgex but smells better, also ibuprofen and voltoral gel quite good.

Cortisone injections sometimes work, sometimes doesn't.

All of the meds are prescription only so you will need that chat with your doctor and there may be reasons why you can't have some so just tell them you can't cope with the pain and work with them. Not all meds work for everyone.

Good luck

Trish

• cox1058
    Options

@Trish9556

Thank you Trish - I've had naproxen and etoricoxib, but neither have helped. I have got co-codamol 30/500 and been told I could take up to 8 per day but they won't let me have them for more than 3 months?

I found the etoricoxib gave me swollen ankles and palpitations, so I've stopped them, but can't understand if these are supposed to be so great for osteoarthritis, then why are they not helping at all?

I have been taking omeprazole as well as there is a history of stomach ulcers in my family, so I'm not going to pump myself full of the NSAID's if they are not doing anything to relieve the pain.

They won't prescribe Tramadol around here, so that isn't an option.

I was just hoping to find out if any gels or patches may help, so I know what to ask for next.

Someone else mentioned Gabapentin but I'm worried about that as already overweight and been told it can cause weight gain.

At the moment, it's back to co-codamol, but no way could I take 8 in a day, as 2 make me drowsy as it is....

• Trish9556
    Options

Hi @cox1058

Try taking 1 codeine 4 times a day then increase it to 8 over a week/ten days. Once your body gets used to it you don't feel as drowsy. It does work so it is good to get used to it. You have to take it daily for it to be effective. My Dr calls it pain management, rather than take pills when you need them, take them all the time when you have something long term like arthritis..

I didn't want the Gabapentin either not only for that reason but I have had epilepsy since birth and although seizures are rare these days I haven't taken any meds for nearly 40 years so I was loathe to take it for that reason. It does work though so I stuck with it.

They probably don't like prescribing codeine for more than three months because it addictive If you have it for three months and it works, ask them why they stop it. You have to be weaned off if it and not stop it suddenly when you take it long term. If they don't like the conversation it may be worth changing your GP.

Also ask they why they don't prescribe tramadol. Yes I is addictive but it works.

Also, have you been referred to your local MSK team for assessment and onward referral to orthopaedics? That's another conversation. If you are seen by orthopaedics you'll be assessed for surgery and put on a waiting list. They could also prescribe the tramadol for you.

It sounds like you won't get patches either as they're morphine based so they are addictive too.

Good luck!

Trish xx no

• cox1058
    Options

@Trish9556

Thanks again Trish.

I'm considerably overweight, so know this doesn't help the condition, but have also had anxiety for 35+ years, so I wouldn't opt for surgery in all honesty. My weight will be an issue in the first place, but I would be so scared, I don't think I would survive the worry of it all... I really am the world's worst baby when it comes to all things medical.

I've been on propanalol for 35 years for anxiety, so I personally don't have an issue with taking something if it helps. The NSAID's I was tried on didn't help me at all which I was disappointed by, though as there is a history of stomach ulcers in our family, I'd rather not take them to be honest as I know they are bad for your stomach..

I work from home, so it's all getting on top of me to be fair as I don't leave the house virtually ever now and now that my mobility is bad, I can't really exercise which doesn't help the weight loss.

I'm sure I was told it was a directive from NICE in relation to them not prescribing Tramadol, and she seemed to think the side effects would be worse for me than the NSAID's.

It's just all rather depressing when every day you are wracked with pain and there seems no light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you for taking the time to respond x

• Trish9556
    Options

hi @cox1058

The only reason I can see that NICE would say you couldn't have Tramadol was if it would interfere with your other meds. I've certainly had an ongoing prescription for over a year :)

If you have a Nuffield gym near you, they run a free joint pain programme exactly for people like us and they would help you. You apply online and they get back to you to ask you questions and tell you more about the course. It is an 8 week course which I have applied for but for several reasons I've not been able to go on the latest one. If you run a search for Nuffield in the search bar here you will find several threads about it. It will be worth you looking into as they will help you in more ways than one.

I'm going to see my hip clilnic next week and hopefully will get good news on having my surgery. I'm in tremendous pain and couldn't cope if he cold me I couldn't have the surgery.

trish x