Total hip replacement needed

Options

Hello everyone , some advice needed I am in desperate need of a hip replacement been waiting over 70 weeks plus now . Was told by admissions I was pencilled in for March then April then March again . I spoke to the last week to find out now that due to the Dr strikes and my surgeon going on holiday it will be May onwards ! I am on the urgent list and was told “ keep my chin up” how do you answer that politely?

I spend most of my time at home looking at the same four walls , hardly able to walk and in constant pain day and night. Sorry for the rant but at time I wonder if I will ever get my Hip and two Knees done and be able to go back to a no life again

Comments

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 401
    Options

@ozzy62 I am so sorry to read about your delayed surgery. It's just over ten weeks since my THR and I still remember the pain and worry of further delays pre-surgery. It does always seem as though they don't recognise the amount of pain we're in do they? Or maybe they do and just know they can't do anything about it?

Is it worth seeing if you could have it done any quicker at another hospital? I'm not sure exactly how to find out but I think someone put a link on here recently. And I know you can elect to go anywhere with a shorter waiting list, although that does mean going there for your pre-op and aftercare.

Could you ask to be put on the cancellations list?

• ozzy62
    ozzy62 Member Posts: 14
    Options

Hello Janlyn

Thank you for your comment I can’t go else where because of my BMI it has to be at the Hospital , I have asked for my name to go on the cancellation list but I am in the same boat as everyone else. I have thought about doing a stage in at the hospital with all the other patients waiting to have the same as me ! 😂

At least it would give us all news coverage !

best wishes

• swimmer60
    swimmer60 Member Posts: 202
    Options

@ozzy62

Go for it! I am in a constant rage about the pain my fellow arthritis sufferers are enduring, and I was in before my THR!😡

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 309
    Options

I feel so sorry and the NHS situation is out of control. My consultant said that his waiting list is, at least, a year (Wales), even in priority, like I was. He said he had people in front of me on the queue that are much worse than me. I hope you can get your surgery soon. Good luck x