Methotrexate Side effects?

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Need more help? You can telephone us as well.

Comments

• renfold11
    renfold11 Member Posts: 2
    edited 27. Feb 2024, 11:16
    Options

Hi my husband started on methotrexate last week and it made him sick and he now has a very swollen throat, he's also on prednisone. Do either if these cause this side effect?

Is there an alternative to methotrexate because he has read about side effects and doesn't want to continue.

How long can you take steroids for?

Can you take paracetamol with steroids?

Thanks

• zah201
    zah201 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hello, I am a female, 22 and have just been diagnosed with RA. I have been given steroids and methotrexate which has helped a lot. Thankfully I have not had any side effects from methotrexate. You can also take paracetamol alongside your steroid tablets. ☺️

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @renfold11

Thank you for posting on our On-line Community, we are sorry to hear that your husband is experiencing side effects from taking methotrexate and steroids.

Taking medication can cause side effects for some people, the side effects with methotrexate are feeling sick, the side effects of steroids is manly weight gain, usually the Healthcare practitioner will only allow a person to have a short period of time on steroids, but to how long would be left to his consultant.

As @zah201 has said he can usually carry on taking painkillers like paracetamol if needed, unless your doctor advises otherwise. Avoid taking non-steroid anti-inflammatory or medicines containing NSAIDs, such as over-the-counter cold medication, without first speaking to your doctor. Steroids can be taken along with other drugs. However, some drugs can interact with steroids, so you should discuss any new medications with your doctor before starting them, and you should tell anyone else treating you what you’re taking.

If your husband feels that there is too many side effects from taking methotrexate than other treatment would be the biological treatment that he could discuss with his consultant. Biological therapies are a relatively new class of medicines. They stop or block particular cells in the immune system from triggering inflammation, and so target the underlying cause of diseases. They tend to work more quickly than conventional DMARDs.

Best wishes

Chris (Helpline Advisor)