Diagnosis/surgery

Options

What stage of hip arthritis is it feasible for surgery . Diagnosed some months ago from pain in groin/down inside of right leg . Cannot take anti inflammatory niw paracetamol no longer working . Do regular exercise . Is there any special diet to help with pain .

Cocoa

Comments

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 356
    Options

@cocoa Do you take paracetamol at maximum dose? I was told I had to take maximum does whether I felt I needed so much or not as it works better than way.

I do sympathise but maybe you should go back to your GP for advice now? There may be other painkillers or have you tried the ibuprofen gels, hot water bottles or ice packs? They all worked quite well for me before I had my surgery. But really you need to know what will work for you and what stage you are at - nearing surgery or maybe different exercises, painkillers or practices may be what you need. I was referred to my local medical centre for a six week Escape Pain course which was excellent and gave lots of supervised exercises/advice and equal amounts of theory/coping strategies.

Good luck 😊

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 975
    Options

Hi @cocoa and welcome to the online community,

Exercise, diet and medications can all help to manage hip pain, but as @Janlyn says, it’s best to go back to your GP to find out what stage you’re at and where you are in relation to surgery. You can also discuss pain relief and maybe adjusting your meds.

Here’s a link to some suggestions about how you can help yourself manage your pain too.

Best wishes,

Anna ( Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm