Vehicle Insurance

Options

has anyone had problems getting vehicle insurance recently, just been for a renewal quote and it seems as if the cost has jumped horrendously since last year due to the fact that I gave up self employment officially and now have to state unemployed due to disability on the forms, the quote for renewal suddenly went from around £550 to a grand at a keystroke on their computer, nothing else has changed in the last year except the car and me are a year older, I'm way over the maximum no claims discount limits as no claims in over 30 years. The key point is by declaring the fact that you are not working due to a disability that does not effect your ability to drive and is not notifiable to the DVLA as no vehicle mods needed directly bumps the premiums up

Comments

• Loggiemod
    Loggiemod Member Posts: 222
    Options

Hello @FULLTIMER unfortunately car insurance (in fact all insurance) seems to have gone up significantly 😞

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 717
    Options

Hi @FULLTIMER

I think you might be better to shop around. I knew a couple who were both managers in a large insurance company and they advised never to stay too long with one company as it's viewed by them as easy pickings.

Funnily enough I've just had an email from MoneySavingExpert and it's got an article on car insurance and how to possibly save by inputting your details on their comparison website. I've just done that and the quotes are considerably cheaper than my existing cost and they are with household name companies such as RAC.

Personally I would not consider telling an insurance company I have a disabilty if it does not affect my driving and does not need to be reported to the DVLA.

• FULLTIMER
    FULLTIMER Member Posts: 9
    Options

I know and I had already had the renewal quote that I would have gone ahead with as it was only a tenner dearer than the previous year, it was when I went through the policy and I noticed a couple of mistakes including my occupation, so they went through the options such as employed, self employed, retired ,unemployed or unemployed with a disability, so It was this point when I really had to tell them that I was no longer self employed as unable to work that the only option was unemployed due to disability, not notifiable to DVLA, as I'm on ESA and receiving PIP this is when the new price came through at double my original renewal quote

• FULLTIMER
    FULLTIMER Member Posts: 9
    Options

Unfortunately with the tick box options I had little choice as unemployed due to disability was the only option that was available with another question following asking if disability was notifiable to DVLA, as I get ESA and PIP it would be easy for any insurance company to check in the event of a claim