Finger joint replacement

Options

Hi I have had my right index finger joint replaced a week ago , today the dressings came off . The finger looks like Frankenstein’s monsters hand!! Any other people out there who have had finger joint replacement?? For anyone interested I have attached a before and after photo

Comments

• Rosie14
    Rosie14 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi FunkyFingers

My fingers very similar to yours! I had my left index joint replaced with a fixed joint (ie cannot bend)20 years ago when I was about 50.(osteoarthritis) I know the consultant was reluctant but the disability was making working life difficult. Swelling and pain is normal and from the picture looks like it's healing ok It does take tIme. I was off work 10 weeks..Surprising how painful a finger joint replacement is when healing ! I am sure you will be fine though.

• FunkyFingers
    Options

Aww thank you, it’s so funny to see a straight again! I am 50 years old and yes working is becoming very difficult and fiddly as I am a nurse. I am signed off for 6 weeks at the moment so will see how it goes .

I have never met anybody else as young as me with such bad hands, he wanted to do 2 joints but I was too nervous so we just did the one so I may need more surgery in the future but it will hopefully get me through for now , fingers crossed 🤞🏻 Even tho I can’t actually do this at the moment!!! X

• Rosie14
    Rosie14 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Such a similar story to mine. I was a nurse too. Tricky doing medication, opening bottles etc.Although I did suffer with pain ,and all fingers and thumb joints swollen and disfigured now, I have little pain now compared to how it was .Also I have adapted how I do things , but am clumsy ..always dropping things! You may find your index finger op will be enough to cope. I did.Good luck.