Tight and stiff after TKR

Options

Hi there,

I had TKR 6 months ago and although the arthritic pain has gone my knee is still stiff and tight. I still exercise for 30 min every day, walk around 6000 steps daily and practice yoga twice weekly. The bend is limited to just over 100 degrees and I can almost fully straighten it now.

Can anyone tell me if this will get any better with time? I'm 72 years of age and fairly active.

Doreen

Comments

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 286
    Options

Morning @Smythd2404

Well you certainly sound like you are doing everything you can to help yourself.

I would advise you to contact your doctor or consultant for advice at this stage as I know everyone is different and they will be best to give you correct information.

I have no experience of TKR but I am sure other do and will post soon.

Best wishes @Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• shrimpete
    shrimpete Member Posts: 3
    Options

I had a TKR 15 months ago and I still have numbness over most of my knee, along with stiffness. I have full extension and 125 degrees of flexsion. My physio thinks it’s nerve related. Nerves take a long time to heal so maybe with time there will be some some improvement.

• Smythd2404
    Smythd2404 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thank you. Maybe I'm just being a wee bit impatient !

• remmingtonwildhunter
    Options

As shrimppete said it could be nerve damage when i had my right TKR in 2014 i sat on the couch with a ratchet strap on my leg to stretch i had 137 degrees after 6 weeks but my foot was ice cold the knee team told me a cm amonth nerves grow and it's the way they stretch and twist your leg in surgery...

I was a lot younger than you my leg was numb for about a year after time is a hood healer...