First RA, now gout too!

Options

I was diagnosed with RA about a year ago,and I'm still trying to find the right medication to keep it under control, but this week I've also apparently had an attack of gout, with a really painful swollen big toe.

Just wondering if anyone else has this and if they're linked at all, as both are forms of arthritis? Also, should I let rheumatology know about the gout, or just mention it at my next appointment?

Thanks!

Comments

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 278
    Options

Morning @Nikbok

I was diagnosed with Palindromic Rheumatoid Arthritis after thinking I had gout in my feet.

Thankfully it did calm down with medication and consultations with my doctor who got me referred to Arthritis consultant.

Tell your doctor and consultant everything take photos and keep diary. I found this helpful as mine flares up then disappears making me feel like a liar when complaining.

So I started a journal as evidence which really helped me by being able to show and prove to the professionals exactly what was going on with my body.

Take care and best wishes @Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Nikbok
    Nikbok Member Posts: 7
    Options

Thanks, although it turns out the gout was a misdiagnosis and it is actually an infection in my big toe! (Which is what I thought, but the nurse immediately said gout!)

Great that you've got improvements with your medication,good to know it's achievable if we persevere!