OA in a lot of joints and holidays

Options

I have recently been diagnosed with OA in a lot of my joints, and I'm not sleeping well so I'm quite tired. I can't take NSAID's as they raise my blood pressure, so I have to rely on pain relief only, which doesn't really help. We have a holiday booked abroad (which we booked before my diagnosis) in the next few months and I'm worried. I have always looked forward to my holidays but now it seems like a marathon, from packing, the early start, getting through the airport and sitting on the plane for 4+ hours, and knowing he will expect me to do all the sightseeing we usually do. I have tried to explain this to my partner, but he doesn't seem to get it, and says, you'll be fine when you get there, I don't think he understands how dibilitating this can be and the amount of pain it causes.

Has anyone else had this, any suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

Comments

• distantshores
    distantshores Member Posts: 23
    edited 4. Mar 2024, 09:55
    Options

Hi HC @HCAcomm1 I have OA in my hips but the right hip is severe and will probably have to be replaced this year. I think there is probably some OA in other joints but they don't bother me so I haven't asked for further investigation. I was diagnosed with OA of the hips about 14 years ago and have travelled all over the place since then from Australia to Latin America and other places. Now the right hip is deteriorating it is more difficult to travel but I have just come back from a week in the Canary Islands.

You can try to make things easy for yourself in a number of ways. I always book an aisle seat so it is easier for me to get up a walk around a bit without disturbing others. If you find the walking at the airport too much you can ask for special assistance. I have never used it but I think you can get as much or as little help as you need. The last few times I have travelled I have taken my walking poles which has made it a lot easier for me to walk around wherever I am visiting. You can't take them on the plane as they are considered sports items!! I find them very useful as they take a lot of the stress off the joints. A lot of the aches/pains around the hip are from the muscles and in a warmer drier climate these aches just go. For the last week I have hardly noticed I have OA in the hips. However, I don't have significant pain here either which is odd as I think the right hip is almost bone on bone but fortunately I am not in agony and sometimes take no pain killers. I try to get a room on the ground floor as I don't like lifts. I also try to find places on the flat with easy access to cafes, restaurants, bars and facilities. In other words I try to make it as easy as possible these days. I often go on my own so I don't have a partner to contend with which means I can go at my own pace. Difficult to make your partner understand but you have to pace yourself on holiday as you don't want to cause yourself more pain. Where are you planning to go? Good luck

• HCAcomm1
    HCAcomm1 Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hi distantshores,

Thank you for all your helpful comments, it's very encouraging you have travelled a lot and long distances. I have never fancied special assistance, a neighbour does it, even though she can walk they put her in a wheelchair, and she says she often gets left on the plane for a long time after she reaches her destination. Unfortunately because this holiday was booked about a year ago before I was diagnosed with a lot of my joints having OA we chose a hotel on a hill for the views, so there are a lot of steps up to it. Once inside it does has have a lift, which I don't mind. We're going to Crete, so there is a lot of sightseeing, and looking at the places my partner wants to go quite a few steps. If I don't feel up to it, I may have to find a cafe to have a drink in and sit in the sun, while he goes off sightseeing. As you say, I will have to pace myself and tell him I'll need to have some rest days in between busy days. Hopefully the warmer weather will benefit my joints. If you do need a hip replacement this year, I hope all goes well, and you can be off on your travels again pain free.

• distantshores
    Options

@HCAcomm1 Good luck with your holiday. I haven't been to Crete for about 8 years but in Greece in general you have to be careful of unforeseen obstacles on the roads/pavements as they are often not very well maintained. I tripped over a metal piece embedded in the ground at Rhodes harbour waiting for the ferry to Symi when i went about 18 months ago! If you are in Crete you won't be going on ferries as that is the other problem. I had to ask a crew member to take my suitcase off ferries for me last time! I lived in Greece for 8/9 years and speak reasonable Greek so they were happy to oblige!. When are you going? Crete will not be that warm at this time of year.

I haven't used special assistance either as I can walk the distances through the airports and I have read stories about people being left on board for ages after landing.

Hopefully the steps up to the hotel will have a railing. I always hold on to a railing going up and down steps.

I have been putting off having a replacement for a long time and as I have been able to manage and am not in agony or even in pain most of the time I have been able to bury my head in the sand about it. I don't want it to get to the point where I can't walk or am in agony but am absolutely terrified of surgery and also terrified that I could end up in a worse position eg in a wheelchair or paralysed. Will see. I hope to get to Greece and then India before having it done. At the age of 72 now it will be my last trip to India I think. Hope I get there.

Enjoy your holiday. It would be interesting to hear how you get on. 😊

• HCAcomm1
    HCAcomm1 Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hi distantshores, we are going at the end of June/early July. We have been to other Greek islands before and as you say the pavements/roads can be hazadous in places.

I can understand you being apprehensive about surgery, it can be a scary prospect, but the surgeon will have experience in this type of surgery. I hope you can manage as long as possible, but don't leave it too long, as you don't want to be in agony, perhaps be guided by your consultant. Could you also ask for advice from this community from people who have already had surgery. I hope you can get to India, Greece, and I'm sure other places in the future.

I know someone who had a hip replacement, and then went on to have the other replaced with success and after she recovered went on holiday to USA.

• Nanna8
    Nanna8 Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hi distantshores, I too have the same problem as you with my partner, my son has suggested asking your travel agent about hiring a wheelchair whilst in your resort which is what I have done as most hotels keep a wheelchair for hotel guests to use,hope you have a lovely time whatever you decide to do