Exercise during flare up

Options

I was managing ok with mild pain innner knee and shin but after overdoing it a bit I am now in agony, especially first thing or when I need to get up during the night. I can hobble around the house but can’t go out or move quickly. My question is should I try and push myself and keep moving or should I move as little as possible? Taking Flarin and paracetamol but it’s only just taking the top edge off.

Comments

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 399
    Options

Tricky one this - I tend to ease off with physio and exercise but try to keep moving as it helps to reduce stiffness and at least it's maintaining some degree of muscle mass. I usually alternate ice and hot compresses for inflammation and stiffness respectively and if it's bad then I'll put a knee support on as the compression helps and aids stability. Hope you get some relief quickly.

Jon

• Vinnymon
    Vinnymon Member Posts: 18
    Options

Thanks Jon. That sounds sensible. I’m now on day 4. I’m sending other half out to get a knee support. How long would a bad flare normally last?

• jonr
    Options

NP @Vinnymon - impossible to answer alas, it's the ultimate "length of a piece of string" question! My flare-ups don't generally last more than a couple of days but I've heard some people suffer for weeks and months on end.

Bit of advice with knee supports, there's lots of different types and they're sold in multiple sizes so if someone is buying on your behalf, best you measure around your knee for an accurate fit. I'd also recommend an independent pharmacy as the big retailers don't have much choice. Of the ones for sale, I like the plain elasticated ones and the sturdier ones with velcro straps and a cut-out for the knee. Another benefit of wearing these is if you apply any gels, such as Voltorol, Red Tiger Balm, etc they help to keep clothes clean. Whilst they're in there, perhaps also ask about a TENS machine, very useful gadgets which provide instant pain relief which for some people can last for several hours. They're very inexpensive too.

Best of British!

Jon

• Vinnymon
    Options

I’m so grateful to you Jon. That’s all really helpful. I’m going to google Tens machines now as I’m determined to get on top of it.

• jonr
    Options

You are most welcome @Vinnymon, hope you get what you need. Lloyds Pharmacy stock a good range of TENS machines, you don't need a fancy one and they needn't cost the earth. The one I use is battery-operated and portable with 4 wired sensors and 3 pulse settings. I use a setting which is a blend of the other 2 and then set the intensity to suit. 30-45 minutes at a time seems to suit but have a tinker and see how you get on.

• Vinnymon
    Options

Thank you again, Jon. You have helped me so much. As you can probably tell, this is my first experience of a flare up and it’s knocked me for six.