It’s not just age!

Options

Hi Guys I am a new member and this is my first post. I am still wrestling with how to adapt to my osteoarthritis in multiple joints. One issue I am having is in getting my GPs (never the same one twice) to take me seriously. I keep getting the “you’re 65, what do you expect?” attitude. I’m trying to follow an exercise programme but after a few days I get so sore and tired that I have to stop. I have been told that I should be taking painkillers to prevent pain rather than treat it. That’s difficult because you can only buy small packets that don’t last very long. My GPs are very reluctant to prescribe painkillers.

i know this is a very newbie kind of question, but how do you guys approach these problems?

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @drcrispy25

Thank you for posting on our Online Community and welcome to the group. We are sorry to hear that you feel that your GP isn't listening to you and taking your condition seriously.

Having osteoarthritis and being in constant pain can affect people in many ways from low mood to fatigue and when the support isn't there it can be frustrating. Self-management is important with this condition which you are already doing through exercise, but it is through your GP where you would get access to other support as well, such as, Physio, Occupational therapist, Pain management programmes and a medication review and steroid injections.

If you feel that you are in a lot of pain after exercising then it could possibly be that you are doing too much, start gradually and allow time for rest. Other ways of managing your condition would be to try the heat and ice treatment which can help with pain and swelling, heat can be in a form of a hot water bottle. Ice can help with pain and swelling so that can be a bag of frozen vegetables wrapped in a damp tea-towel. 

Also, speak to your local pharmacist for help and advice with medication/complementary treatments that could help. Wishing you all the best in the future.

Chris (Helpline Advisor)