My THR recovery diary

Options

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,481
    edited 30. Apr 2024, 09:48
    Options

Good luck for tomorrow @JPT it feels like only 5 minutes ago you were finishing your blood thinners! Now look at you and all you can do.

Interested to hear what is said about the clicking.

take care

Toni x

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 298
    Options

We are same age @JPT I've never worn stilettos so I will not miss them but I miss wearing something different from sneakers and running shoes. I miss my Dr Martens boots but they feel too heavy at the moment and the laces aren't easy. I have a pair of MayJanes I can't wear because they have a buckle I can't reach well.

I hope your clicking can be fixed once you gain strength with exercise. It's great you can walk without crutches. I'm 2 months earlier than you and I can only walk very short distances without crutches but it's because the other leg is getting worse very fast. The operated leg feels amazing, like I've never had a problem with it. I was yesterday doing yoga and I can't believe what I can do now that I couldn't before. It's a miracle.

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 395
    Options

@JPT oh dear, becoming sensible - that will never do 😂 I've taken so many shoes to the charity shop and more will be on their way soon. I just don't want to risk anything that makes me badly aligned.

I hope all goes well tomorrow and you are reassured regarding the clicking - maybe you'll miss it when it's gone🤔

I can't believe it's eight weeks already, and you're doing so well - you'll be in that car soon 😊

@HarryB wow, well done, I hope you are back home soon and able to get back to a proper football match soon. Take care.

• JPT
    JPT Member Posts: 145
    Options

Thanks @Janlyn @frogmorton @Nurina

The consultant was pleased with me overall but is confused about the clicking/clunky hip noises! He's sending me for an ultrasound scan to check what's causing it.

Regarding my extra leg length he did say that it was only a couple of mm extra but that it was needed for stability and to see how it settles once my recovery is further on and my muscles and pelvis are back where they should be. I think he'll keep an eye on it as he definitely didn't think a shoe wedge was required.

I asked him if I really had asked to see my old bone and he laughed as I was the only one who had! He asked me if I remembered how the different parts of it sounded which I did recall. I think he thinks I am a bit weird 🤣

I can drive again now and yesterday to preempt it I did manage to get in my car and drive up and down my driveway.

All in all a good day. Just keeping fingers crossed that ultrasound doesn't show anything untoward as I didn't like his worst case scenario 😕

• Janlyn
    Options

@JPT Overall good news and I hope you don't have to wait long for your ultrasound - he seems to be taking good care of you.

Amazing how it's really not long ago you couldn't envisage getting back in your car and now you're there - well done!

And weird is good, I only wish I'd thought to ask for a look at mine 😳😂

• Zimmer
    Zimmer Member Posts: 41
    Options

I can't wait to be able to get out and about and reconnect with those that I've lost touch with. Even my family have stopped including me for social events, as I inevitably decline due to the pain and inability to move around.

Thank you for continuing to report on your recovery, it has put my anxious thoughts at ease.

Hopefully the clicking, which I also have, is due to the muscles and tendons regaining their strength and having to work in the correct alignment.

• alwayssewing
    alwayssewing Member Posts: 38
    Options

@JPT It sounds like you are progressing well, hopefully the clicking is nothing much and will go away as you get stronger. I'm envious that you managed to drive your car. I haven't attempted that yet and my husband always jumps in the drivers seat first anyway.

• frogmorton
    Options

Wow!!!! Driving again! I am so pleased for you @JPT

So exciting. It's a bank holiday weekend get out to a quiet road and have a go.

I hope the scan appt is soon so you can clear that up. Sounds as though the leg length difference is minimal maybe it feels bigger than it is🤔

He probably thinks you are funny - not weird. 😁

Have a great weekend

Toni x

• JPT
    Options

Week 9 2/5 onwards
    Seen the consultant - need ultrasound scan for clicking hip - possibly a tendon issue.
    Drove my car for the first time in two months - will have to think very carefully where I park as I need the door open really wide!
    Walked to hairdressers and back. Sat in there for 2 hours comfortably
    Walked 3.3km almost nonstop - just aching muscle at top of hip, no other issues. Every day is different, I couldn't have done this yesterday.
    I can put on my left sock most mornings, I can tie up my shoe laces most days.
    I can do my exercises on the floor and just about get up afterwards!
    I can't stand in my old lace up Skechers for long, I feel my legs are uneven but I don't know if this is due to the way I was walking before and therefore my shoes moulded to this or whether it is my slightly longer leg.

This week I will have the ultrasound scan to see what this clicking is about and another round of physio - a 30 minute session of pilates exercises apparently.

• Fran54
    Fran54 Member Posts: 197
    Options

@JPT

I have been reading your diary and find it very helpful. You are really doing well by the sounds of it, so well done😊

Hope all goes well with your scan tomorrow..

• Janlyn
    Options

@JPT wow, you really are doing well - all the very best with your scan tomorrow, x

• HarryB
    HarryB Member Posts: 7
    Options

@JPT That's excellent progress. I hope the scan will sort out the clicking. Regarding the space you need to open the car door, a friend who had a knee replacement a few years ago obtained a temporary blue badge from the council. Is that a possibility for you?

• julesd
    julesd Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you for all your posts on your progress and comments from others too. I am at day 21 and realise that I am trying to do too much. After having my RTHR, and trying 1 walk of just over a mile up and down in week 2, which knocked me back a couple of days, with ICE, hot water bottle to lower back muscles, you would think I’d listen to my body. But no, yesterday, I embarked on ‘gentle ‘gardening, after my partner laid everything out for seed sowing /potting. I forgot that even watering. Refilling-bending in golf pose, and carrying light seed tray was probably going to be too much and yes it was, and again set me back.
    Thank you, after reading all of your encouraging posts I am going to ‘take it easy’ as my consultant said. At 59, when you have been immobile for quite a few months, when my hip suddenly crashed it is difficult. On the good days you feel so good and fall into what you did before so naturally. Slowly does it……thanks, Julie Dx

• Janlyn
    Options

@julesd don't beat yourself up about doing too much. You're doing really well and sometimes only doing too much keeps us in check and helps us realise what it enough and what is too much. Take care.

• frogmorton
    Options

Take care @julesd

hopefully a restful day or so will see you back on track ((()))

Toni x

• JPT
    Options

@julesd as the others told me at the time when I had gone a bit far, you don't know your limits until you try. A couple of quieter days and you can start again. Julie x

• JPT
    Options

The ultrasound scan just showed a tendon moving in time with the clicking so definitely not the hip. The radiographer said the hip looked good. I saw a bit of the new hip on the screen, you can't miss it it looks alien compared to the bones/ muscles etc!

I then saw the physio straight after and she put me through a pilates session to strengthen my glutes and stretch my hip etc ouch lol!

It may well be that a couple of weeks of these new exercises will sort out the tendon clicking otherwise it might be an injection. Will find out in three weeks when I see the consultant for the results and have my penultimate physio session.My leg length difference is a nuisance but I'll discuss it again then.

Otherwise I really now feel I am getting fitter rather than in recovery which great . Julie x

• Janlyn
    Options

@JPT Wow getting fitter rather than in recovery - that's great news!

Good news that your hip looks good and hopefully your tendon will get strengthened and sorted out with the new exercises. Your exercises sound to be like mine and others here so all sounds good - I've learned if there's no ouch it's not doing any good or unnecessary so that all sounds good.

The sight of the new hip is a bit alien isn't it? I took a photo of mine when my consultant showed me it on his screen!

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 298
    Options

I feel a string rubbing my hip when I do exercises. I asked my physio and he said that it was exactly that, the ligament rubbing the hip. He said it's still healing and bulky but it'll be better. I feel it more when I do floor exercises lying on my side. Once the external wound is healed, the exercises to strengthen the muscles and ligaments are really painful but necessary.

I saw my bionic hip too and I felt like I was watching one on the one thousand images about hip replacement I saw before the surgery.

• JPT
    Options

I can't believe it is 10 weeks already!

There are times when I really do not think about my hip which is amazing since it's been in the forefront of my mind for so long all day every day. I know when I have overdone it or over stretched it and my muscles feel sore. I know when I stand straight that I have one foot slightly off the ground or I lean. The clicking is there but I guess I am getting used to it.

The main thing is my mobility is nearly back to where it should be which is really great.

I can nearly do the stairs properly, still working on strengthening exercises so I can weight bear more.

Next I want to try cycling again but I will wait until my next physio

• Lizziebeth
    Options

amazing. Reading your diary is so encouraging, & informative. Thank you

• Bevdav123
    Bevdav123 Member Posts: 30
    Options

You are giving me hope, we had booked a holiday to Majorca 29/6 (which will be 9 weeks after my op) as when I saw the consultant last December he said I had at least another 2 years on the waiting list, we’ve not cancelled it , I’m going to ask the consultant when I see him 6/6 if I’ll be ok to go, but I can’t imagine walking without crutches , it seems ages away, but hearing your story has cheered me up, got my 1st physio appointment tomorrow, I will be doing the exercises religiously, if it gets me on that plane 😊

• JPT
    Options

@Bevdav123 I was like you thinking it's just not possible to do all these things at nine weeks despite reading others positive stories. But I honestly feel that six weeks was the real turning point for me.

Your flight won't be too long so I don't think you will have any problems. It's a great goal to have! And yes, the exercises will make it happen!

I have just walked 5k today around some beautiful gardens on rough terrain. I forgot to take my trekking poles but I didn't need them. Most of the time I didn't even think about my hip. If my thigh muscles tired I just found a bench and sat for a while and then carried on. I have to pinch myself that I have a new hip.

Julie x

• Janlyn
    Options

@JPT you're doing remarkably well - but then you've worked hard for it and it's so well-deserved. Isn't it strange how we get frustrated and impatient and then suddenly realise how much progress we've made?

@Bevdav123 I think you will find you will start to come on in leaps and bounds and you've a lovely incentive to do so. Providing your consultant agrees you can go I am sure you will be fine.

I went on my own on a long - over 7 hours - UK journey on three trains with luggage and walking in between stations at 10 weeks post op. I really wasn't sure I could do it but I did. It is important not to overdo it, although sometimes we have to overdo it to realise how much exercise is enough. It really is important, as Julie says, to stop and rest once you feel sore/achy - I've learned where all the low walls and benches are around my home. But on a positive now I am regularly registering over 10,000 steps a day painlessly on my Fitbit.

Please try to take it slow but steady and believe you will get there!