My THR recovery diary

Options

Comments

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 294
    Options

I'm very sensitive with medication and everything hurts me. The huge amount of medication I had to take was messing with my stomach very badly and I had constant nausea. I only took codeine at night because it helped me to sleep. I stopped taking it on 4th day from the day of surgery, Ibuprofen around 7th day and then, only Paracetamol. I stopped taking Paracetamol regularly on day 10th and from then, I'm only taking it If I need it, like when I have a headache.

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 384
    Options

@JPT lots of good news here. I used to get up at 5.00am, wouldn't let myself before then but got quite used to it. A strong coffee then fell asleep in the chair for an hour or two! Good news is that it does get better - I'm having normal, for me, sleep now.

Well done for being able to stretch out your hip so soon - it took me much longer, there was no way I could put my leg straight. I remember clock-watching for pill time - I took mine every six hours and after five I knew about it. Amazingly it was only a week or so and I was forgetting them.

I found the codeine made me nauseous and constipated and so I only took one on my first night home. To be honest, the pain after surgery was bearable compared to pre-surgery and so I only had paracetamol but we're all different, our surgeries will have been different, and if you need more pain relief please ask - don't suffer. Maybe you will be given something other than codeine?

Take care, x

• JPT
    JPT Member Posts: 142
    Options

Thanks @Nurina that must be what's making me constantly nauseous and upsetting my stomach. I'll reduce it to night time only and see how that works. x

• JPT
    Options

@Janlyn thanks I will see what else the GP suggests as definitely codeine causes nausea and constipation which we can definitely do without!

I can stretch out for just about half an hour and then it's too uncomfortable but the first positive sign for me that things are different and better x

• JPT
    Options

Day 5

Not the best start with only 1hr20 of deep sleep,however, managed a better wash, even doing my hair standing over the bath. Nothing like a hair wash to make you feel better!

Called the GP to arrange dressing change and more meds - we've not updated your records yet (I dropped them in Friday am, it's now Mon pm) so no, we can't help you, phone back tomorrow.

I was then woken from a nap on the bed by the hospital to arrange physio which I am paying for apparently (noone explained before but I'm ok with it ) but no, I can't reach pen and paper to write it the appointment down, I'm on the bed having done exercise and having had a nap. I said noone spoke to me about when to start home exercises...yes we did... Rude!. I was definitely lucky/spoilt having my actual op in a private hospital on the NHS and boy do I know it now, there's no need to be so offhand afterwards! It was all a rush when I left.

Spent the rest of the day napping.

• Janlyn
    Options

@JPT oh dear, I do hope Day 6 is better. I'm trying to remember and I think it was either Day 4 or 5 where I felt it was all too much. I certainly didn't wash my hair so soon so well done with that.

It does sound as though napping is the best thing for you and I agree about the constipation and nausea - best avoided at any cost. I found I had a craving for oranges and orange juice and decided my body was crying out for Vitamin C. Proper nutrition is vital for our recovery and to fight the drugs we've overloaded on. What type of blood thinners have you got?

• swimmer60
    swimmer60 Member Posts: 202
    Options

@Janlyn

My daughter got me a liquid iron drink, very nice too, which made sense as your body is probably iron depleted after such a major op.

• Janlyn
    Options

@swimmer60 Ooh, that sounds nice, I'll have to look out for it. My surgery was delayed as my haemoglobin was too low and amazingly I found once on iron tablets I actually felt so much better in myself. Once past surgery I stopped taking the tablets but soon started to feel a little weak and ill again so back on them, but really don't want to take them three times a day forever if there's a more palatable option. Thank you 🙏

• JPT
    Options

@Janlyn the blood thinners are Rivaroxaban

Day 6

Started out positive, I did get some pockets of deep sleep so that was good. Getting up in the morning is getting easier. I'm not getting anywhere with the exercises yet though. I must try harder. I can't quite be trusted to go up and down stairs on my own yet, the bottom three steps before the turn don't have any handhold and I am not confident on them, the rest I find ok and safe to do.

I need to walk around more but this blasted blister is making everything difficult. I will see a nurse tomorrow to change the dressings. The nurse said it is very rare to get a blister like this and it's probably just caused by the dressing pulling the skin too tightly. It's just that however I sit or lie, it's right on the edge and is really painful.

• Nurina
    Options

I'm glad you are doing better. Take your time. You'll be able to do things when you are ready. Don't rush exercises and ask for help to climb down stairs. Before you know it, everything will be easier and easier. Like you, my first steps from the stairs don't have handrail and they are so steep. It was scary. My husband kept an eye on me the first times but then everything went easier and easier. I had a small blister around the dressing too. My physio said it's a very normal thing due to the tightness and rubbing with clothes. I think during surgery they aren't very delicate. They probably put some sticky material around the wound and they just pulled it out when they finished peeling our skin off. If you are taking blood thinners it'll be more difficult to heal so don't worry. I still have two red marks from the drainage. Also I had some bruises in strange places. I suspect they moved me like I was a rag doll. Take care X

• swimmer60
    Options

@Janlyn

It's called "Floradix." Delicious but expensive. I took it for about 12 weeks. The pills are cheaper.

@JPT

How horrid, so sorry. Your confidence will come back but don't rush, you are very early days from your op.

• Janlyn
    Options

@JPT Ouch that sounds painful, I hope it improves soon. I've not hear of Rivaroxaban but I agree with @Nurina regarding blood-thinners making it more difficult to heal. I had one end of my wound that wouldn't heal although the rest was perfectly healed, but once I finished my blood-thinners it started to heal within a few days. Now it is as good as the rest of my wound.

I also agree regarding taking time to exercise. It will all happen soon enough - it is only a week since major surgery for you. Once you feel able to exercise you will start to feel the benefit and everything else, including stability, will fall into place. I didn't walk outside for some time as it was either very wet or icy and I just thought it too dangerous but I soon caught up with where I thought I should be once it was dry and a little warmer.

@swimmer60 I wondered if you were referring to Floradix. I might give it a try as a 'one-off' but I agree the pills are cheaper.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,474
    Options

I'm taking that stuff I can taste the iron in it if it's the same stuff but it's much gentler on the stomach than actual iron tablets are. They give me the two bob bits😳Mine is called spatone not floradix. Wonder if that tastes less irony🤔

JPT you are doing so well I am so impressed. That blister sounds really annoying I hope it's beginning to heal up now?

Toni

• JPT
    Options

Day 7 13/3

Didn't sleep great, blasted blister, nausea, hip pain, having said that I am actually sleeping better it's just different at the moment.

Once this blister which is quite big and proud now has been dealt with hopefully I will be able to sit, sleep, move more easily.

I did give myself a good talking to as I hit a real low point wondering why a week ago I went through this trauma as I had no idea it would be so hard to deal with. I drew a sketch of what I recall the hip bone looking like with the bare exposed shiny bone and additional bone growth, remembering when the surgeon tapped the bit where there was cartilage and then where there wasn't any.

So I pulled myself together, got washed and dressed, went downstairs to have coffee and walk around a bit more. Taking codeine with something sweet seems to alleviate some of the nausea. A few gentle exercises and we can do this.

My knee and calf are quite swollen though So back up for a lie down and elevate my leg

Had an elderly neighbour visit with chocolates 🎁 that was nice.

Watched tv walked around, made a cuppa, then rested on the bed with leg raised for the evening.

• frogmorton
    Options

Well done @JPT

Given some more time you will absolutely not regret your decision to have your operation. I wish you believed how well you are doing.

Well done giving yourself a good talking to hopefully that (and the neighbour's choccies) might just be enough to help you turn the corner.

Some 💐 from me

Toni x

• Janlyn
    Options

@frogmorton - thanks for suggesting Spatone as an alternative. I'll give them both consideration although I am lucky that the tablets don't really cause me any problems - it's just the three times daily that I'd prefer to avoid.

@JPT you are doing well as @frogmorton says. It's just an up and down time for the first week or two. I think we've all felt that way. Remember all you've been through.

You've reminded me of the swelling. I had two swollen knees and almost top to bottom swelling on operated side but it went down once I started moving a little more.

I'm still envious I didn't ask to see my hip bone 😳

Enjoy your chocolates, x

• Nurina
    Options

@Janlyn My hip was recycled. According to my surgeon, it was sliced in pieces to fill spaces (grafting) so if I need a revision in future, the bone will be in perfect condition. Who said this surgery is medical grade carpentry?

@JPT It looks like you are reaching the peak of the worst days. From here, you'll feel better. Like @frogmorton said I wish you believe how well you are doing.

• swimmer60
    Options

@JPT

Be kind to yourself. You will feel better soon, promise. Take care.

@Nurina

"Fill spaces" you say! Recycling, par excellence!

• swimmer60
    Options

@frogmorton

Floradix simply tastes delicious, don't get "irony" taste at all.

• JPT
    Options

Day 8 14/3

Slept marginally better, went to chair at 0430 and slept

Getting used to the marathon of pills, food, washing, dressing.

Poor hubby hardly moved my foot when putting on my compression socks but omg that ffing hurt like hell - he's done such a good job but it's the worst task for him.

Sun is shining 🌟 yay, sent hubby down the garden to check on my seed showings, yes some are coming up already after 8 days. I rushed around in the last couple of days pre op to get some flower seeds sown so that there is something to look forward to plant out when I am more mobile. Knowing they wouldn't germinate for one or two weeks meant I didn't have to worry about them initially. Planning!

Nurse has sorted out the blister, massive horrid looking thing, just need to keep the area dressed now it has drained, at least the pressure has gone and I can sit /lie better. Dressing changed and wound looks very tidy and neat - amazing to have dissolvable stitches.

Roll on painkiller time, another trip in and out of the car has finished me off but it was easier again so that's good.

Thanks everyone for your support and encouragement, it means a lot. I do feel my worst days are behind me know. I am in control now not my hip.

• lynnyh
    lynnyh Member Posts: 17
    Options

Sounds like you’re doing really well. Go you! Recovery is a real up and down rollercoaster ride, and a marathon not a sprint. Lots of cliches there but you get my drift! I’m on week 8 post right total hip replacement and your journey resonates with me as I’m sure it does with everyone else who’s been through it. I’m pain free now, exercising and walking every day. I’ve still got a bit of a limp but my physio assures me that with exercise on my part this will go with time. All I would say is take your time, be kind to yourself and remember you’ve had major surgery. It’s your unique journey, and it’s ok to be cross/tearful/frustrated at times in amongst the nice bits. Keeping a diary is a brilliant idea, as believe it or not you will start to forget some of the bad bits. Wishing you well. You’re doing great!

• Janlyn
    Options

@Nurina recycling, filling spaces - wow 😯 🤩

@JPT what wonderful planning - it won't be long before you will be tending your new flower seeds. I had neglected my garden for so long due to the pain I was in that one of my first jobs was to buy lots of little flowering plants to top up my pots and make them looked cared for and not neglected. I don't think anyone has noticed but I certainly have!

You're right - your worst days will be behind you and you are close to being back in control. It can get a bit three steps forward and two back but generally it's moving forward time which is wonderful after our previous deterioration isn't it? The joy of getting back out and doing normal things is indescribable.

Thank goodness your blister is sorted but please keep a dressing on it. I didn't once I was told I didn't need a dressing and I think that was why part of my wound took a long time to heal - I think it was getting caught on my clothes. And yes, dissolvable stitches are great.

@lynnyh - you're doing so well too. Well done. And what a lovely post - absolutely all true. Good luck with your limp - at 13 weeks tomorrow mine is reducing but essential to do the exercises and not walk behind being tired.

Take care all, x

• frogmorton
    Options

Well that sounds much much better @JPT

I am so pleased for you. That blister was really holding you back wasn't it? Why would anyone put staples in someone when there is such a thing as dissolvable stitches?! Fabulous.

Really lovely to know your seeds are germinating and you have something to look forward to soon.

The worst days are really behind you yes you'll have the odd day which feels like a backwards step, but you really are getting there.

Your poor husband those stockings are the very worst thing aren't they?🙄

@swimmer60 I might try floradix after I finish all my spatone. it is vegan I've checked and if it doesn't taste irony I'd be really happy. Thank you.

Take care everyone!

Toni x

• swimmer60
    Options

@JPT

That's good news -you're sounding more positive. Keep going gal! 👍️ Before my op., in October, I prepared loads of pots and bought tulips and daffs. Then in November I planted up my pots. The daffs are all flowering, going slightly over, and now the early tulips have started. So good to have something to look forward to when you are laid low.

@frogmorton

Doesn't taste like "medicine" at all, but is pricey.

• JPT
    Options

Day 9 15/3

A better day despite a very uncomfortable night when I slept on and off all night sat totally upright in bed.

Moving around the house a lot more now. Husband went out for a while. One of our cats decided he wanted to feed himself by stealing a packet of food from the box hubby hadn't put away and dragged it round the floor until I managed to catch it with my grabber! Little tinker, got his way though as I fed him on the worktop! Made me laugh which I haven't done in a while.

Had a visit from another neighbour who is a double hip replacement veteran. She certainly thinks I am doing ok too.

Generally a better day today.

It's really my swollen leg that's hampering me more now.