First time on here

Options

Hi there

I was hoping for some advice /info re what to do really I’ve had arthritis for long time (15+years).

Had X-ray about 15 years ago - since then nothing .It has worsened a lot last 18 months to point customers at work ask me if I’ve have had accident .I never realised I had a bad limp.Im really starting to struggle to walk now .Mainly left knee but also other joints too.I think I’m still working thru sheer determination and a lot of tramadol.The only medicine I’ve had is tramadol for the last 13 years .I recently visited gp and asked for ultrasound cos I feel like I need to know how bad this is just so I am prepared so like is the deterioration peaked or could it worsen etc.The doc just said bluntly we don’t X-ray arthritis because the treatment is the same.I was so shocked and somewhat depressed about this and felt like a time waster.Im awake again 4pm as per every nite with the pain so asked for advice re this n the doc said double dose the tramadols .Im sorry for the moaning but it’s just the fact that I feel like what do I do now , I don’t want to return to go as I felt so frustrated. I feel like just writing this down has been cathartic.Have other people experienced this from their doctor?

Comments

• swimmer60
    swimmer60 Member Posts: 202
    Options

@Gail12

I don't know what your doc is on TBH. 😮 My GP sent me for an x-ray, which showed I had no cartilage in my left hip, and explained acute pain I've been in. My friend has just had one, a follow up from her GP and is on the list to see a consultant at the local hospital.

Just awful you are being filled with opiates rather than getting the help you really need.

Can you do some research on the policy in your local area, ask your friends etc? Are their other docs in the practice that you could see? Is there a practice manager you could contact?

Good luck.

• Gail12
    Gail12 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you for your reply

so now I’m thinking maybe it’s not the norm to be refused.I wonder if it’s regional .i live in Liverpool, my sis has terrible arthritis but there is a sign up in her docs saying “we don’t give X-rays for arthritis “.Her friend with a different gp also got refused and he recommended a private one which I think I’ll have to do.- a lot of money for me as I had to reduce my working hours due to the pain and I have no other income

I think I may change my gp - nothing to lose

Thanks

• ItsjustLisa
    ItsjustLisa Member Posts: 22
    Options

@Gail12 I'd absolutely go back for a second opinion! I've just had to give up work because I've left my arthritis to do it's thing for so long (diagnosed 12 years ago osteo right hip). As soon as the NHS physio saw me she referred me for x-rays to see how far my condition has progressed. I've gone from one to investigating both hips, knees and spine before my physio can work out some strengthening exercises and refer me for surgery.

It's absolutely not right to just increase the pain killers, I don't take tramadol, I'm incredibly scared of anything stronger than my high dose co-codamol and have avoided stronger opiates because of the side effects, they're not a long term solution and your situation sounds very similar to mine.

I'd ask to see another GP, physio or a referral to the pain clinic and see what they say, good luck.

• john62
    john62 Member Posts: 77
    Options

Hello @Gail12 you certainly not a time waster. I find it incredible that you have been treated in this way. To be told that they dont x-ray arthritis is just not true, it is the best way to see what is happening in your joints. In your shoes l would ask to see a different doctor at your practice to get a second opinion, if that doesn't work change your practice. You shouldn't have to continue like this taking so many strong drugs and being in ever increasing pain. Get a proper diagnosis of whats happening so that a plan can be made going forward, you will feel so much better knowing the end game. Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

Hello @Gail12 - there's another pathway available to people living in England which bypasses GP's altogether and can get you in front of MSK (Muscular Skeletal) which is where you need to be for a thorough diagnosis which may lead to surgery.

Follow this link: https://www.connecthealth.co.uk/

Connect Health is an organisation attached to the NHS which handles some high volume workloads, MSK conditions and Physio are included. It's usually GP-referred but you can refer yourself if your surgery don't play ball, there's a location service to find your nearest one. My Acupuncturist told me about them and it was a Godsend. Once you speak to them you'll be assessed F2F or by phone and depending on what you say and they determine, it could lead to a chat with an Orthopaedic Consultant who may order XRays or an MRI before determining what treatment is necessary.

I really hope you get the help you need and deserve.

Jon

• Gail12
    Gail12 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you for replying

I did ask my doc about tramadol and they said they are safe if taken properly but tbh I do worry about it but I’d rather take them than be in worse pain although I must admit I think I’ve grown immune as they don’t really hack it anymore unless could be that the joint has worsened I suppose.

i really don’t think I could face another visit to docs . I’ve been twice in last 3 months , both different docs , both refused x ray just said almost in parrot like fashion we don’t X-ray arthritis the treatment is the same-basically that treatment is pain killers which I already take .

Once you mention the A word they don’t want to know.I do kind of understand there’s not a lot can be done but if I had X-ray I would feel better informed

Thanks so much for listening

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 711
    Options

Hi @Gail12

I'd look for a new GP if I were you. I changed my GP last year as the practice I'd been with for over 10 years had proved progressively unhelpful after I became ill in 2020. In my health board area GP practices restrict patients by postcode so I could only select from certain local practices within the city. I was concerned about changing GP as I'm now classed as having multimorbidity and taking 8 different drugs. My wife and I asked around and the one we chose was really rated by friends and neighbours so we moved. It's been a real eye opener - the difference in approach has been significant and positive.

With regard not sending you for x-ray that's a real nonsense - how would they ever determine any degeneration in your knee if they don't x-ray it.

I also changed my first rheumatologist as he was extremely unhelpful and arrogant and again the difference with the rheumatologist I have now is significant. She listens and is very proactive.

I hope you get some help soon.

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,013
    Options

Hello @Gail12 glad you've found this Community. Some good advice as always. There is also 111 you can call. When my wife needed to talk to a GP earlier this year and our surgery had no appointments (it is getting very difficult to talk to a GP let alone see one!) she called 111 and a doctor called her back within a couple of hours. Might be worth a try.

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• john62
    john62 Member Posts: 77
    Options

@Gail12 l am on Tramadol and find that their ability to reduce pain has decreased over time, l take lbuprofen with them which help a little. You say there is not a lot that can be done if you get an x-ray, there is, you can be referred to see a consultant who will advise the best course of action. The suggestion above about connect health may be worth looking into. I'm still at a loss to understand the view of your practice regarding arthritis.

• Splodge
    Splodge Member Posts: 14
    edited 9. Mar 2024, 06:33
    Options

It seems extremely odd. It took a while for me to be diagnosed and along the way I got a private rheumatologist involved (the one appointment I made was expensive but the consultant prescribed steroids and wrote to my GP demanding I be referred to the arthritis clinic) but at least investigations took place and it is now being taken extremely seriously. I wouldn't have just taken that verdict - especially if I worked. Sometimes one really has to be proactive and assertive. Good luck.

• Fredd1e
    Fredd1e Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hello, hear what you mean and concur, the doctors do not want to know. I have arthritus of the neck and wanted some different pain killers as I am on progabalin and it only just takes the edge off the pain. Was told if they operate I would be dead, I said I didn't want an operation just different pain killers to kill the pain and then I was told that the neck was 'worn out'. How are you supposed to answer that? and where do I go from here? No help whatsoever.