Awaiting hip replacement

Options

My husband is on list for this op, however his pain is increasing daily. Last night he was in extreme pain through his quad and stabbing pain in his knee and calf . He goes to the gym as much as possible and has tried swimming. He is fit but the pain is now so bad he can't sleep and is unable to work a whole day. He takes gabestan and ibuprofen. I look forward to any help you can give us. Thank you 😊

Comments

• CarylW
    CarylW Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hello @daellegg7 and welcome to our online forum. I hope you will find it a good place for you and your husband to find information and support from our members.

You will find lots of information on our website, and you may want to read through the diary of one of our members who has gone through a hip replacement - https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussion/61792/my-hip-replacement-diary/p1

Please do keep posting and let us know how your husband is getting on. We will always try to help you!

Best wishes

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @daellegg7

Thank you for posting on the Online Community. I am sorry to hear that your husband is experiencing increasing pain while awaiting hip replacement surgery. You mention that the pain is now affecting his work. Pain can drag you down and feel very debilitating. It sounds as if he is going through a rough time. I hope you both find Caryl's response helpful.

It is good to hear that your husband is attending the gym and exercising. However, pacing and balancing activity with rest is also important. I'm wondering whether he may be overdoing it. The increase in pain may be a warning sign. It may be helpful for your husband to go back to the GP to review his pain medication and talk things through. Heat or cold may be helpful and using NSAID gel may help reduce the number of tablets he is taking. A healthy balanced diet and keeping a healthy weight can make a difference too.

If you or your husband would like to talk things through informally and in confidence, you are welcome to call our Free Helpline on 0800 5200 520 weekdays 9am - 6pm. If you would like to have more replies to your post, you are welcome to repost on our Living with Arthritis forum which is another source of support to ask questions and share experiences with others.

I hope you find the information given below of some help.

Best wishes,

Fiona, Helpline Advisor