Diagnosis

Options

Has anyone had to pay privately for a diagnosis then asked to be referred back to the NHS?

I already know I have osteoarthritis but recent bloods have shown I may also have inflammatory arthritis. I need to be seen by a rheumatologist but the wait in my area is over a year. I can’t get wait that long so looking at viable options.

Comments

• Emmasknackeredjoints
    Options

Yes I've been private many times . To be honest they haven't always been helpful.

I've spend thousands but it was helpful to find ortho condition.

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 711
    Options

Hi @Jo_p79

I looked into using a private rheumatologist when I was first diagnosed with inflammatory (psoriatic) arthritis by an A&E consultant in 2020. I had got to the stage of booking an initial consultation and it was to cost £200. The consultant was actually an NHS consultant in his day job - it seems many in my area are. I ended up as an emergency referral in the NHS and was seen quickly. In fact the NHS consultant I was assigned seems to spent a great deal of time in private practice. I think many people use the private route to get an initial diagnosis and first drug treatment and then be put on the NHS waiting list for that consultant if they also work in the NHS.

If you do an internet search for rheumatologists in your area you can check if they also work for the NHS - many of the ones I looked at work both in the NHS and privately.