Trapeziectomy or thumb joint replacement

Options

I would be grateful to know of anyone’s experience or knowledge of thumb joint replacement. I am due to have a trapeziectomy, however, a second opinion has been given to me suggesting a joint replacement. Thank you.

Comments

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 540
    edited 7. Mar 2024, 21:46
    Options

Hi @AAB

I had a trapeziectomy in 2020 after 5 years of pain. The best thing I ever did.

I now have an unrelated problem in the same wrist and happily doing back to the same surgeon who looked after me so well.

I can't comment on a joint replacement, the trapezium is quite a small joint and you can cope very well without it which is what I do

I have posted some exercises on here, if you search on trapeziectomy on here you should find them and they should help

Trish

• Hellesbelles
    Options

Hi @AAB I had my first trapeziectomy in 2019 was amazed at just how much difference it made, although I did struggle with grip & strength for a little while.

I then had my right thumb done in November of last year, and whilst that has been successful, it has left me with some slight nerve damage down the one side of my thumb.

However, my consultant is reasonably satisfied will ease over time, but we will see.

There is no denying it is quite painful, and very limiting at first, but with the help of a good hand therapist you should start to notice the benefits after around 2-3 months.

With regards to joint replacement, like Trish, I can't comment.

It is, as she says a very small bone that is removed, but like her, I too manage exceptionally well without it.

Having had both of my thumbs done, & based on my experience, I wouldn't hesitate in recommending someone to have surgery if it was offered.

Good luck, Helen

• AAB
    AAB Member Posts: 4
    Options

Thank you so much Helen for sharing your experiences.

• AAB
    Options

Thank you Trish, this really helps to hear of the positive outcomes.

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,038
    Options

Hello @AAB and welcome to the Community.

I hope that you get your treatment soon and it gives you relief from the pain.

If you need anything further just pop a question in the discussion.

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• AAB
    Options

Thank you Peter.

I am grateful for the responses I have received regarding thumb joint replacement as opposed to a Trapeziectomy. I am hoping there may be someone in the community with a little more knowledge on this.