Not sure about diagnosis

Options

Hi I am 42 and just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis. However Im really not sure. I'm in the midst of having a flare and feel awful very tired and achy and hot. I experience pain in shoulders, wrists, fingers, hips and knees. My CRP was 17. The only trauma I have had is to my ankles. The skin around my joints can get itchy. Could this really be osteo? Can you feel unwell with an osteo flare? Do joints get itchy with osteo?

Comments

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 280
    Options

Hello @birty81 and welcome to the online community.

Sorry to hear you concerns about osteoarthritis , have you been diagnosed by doctor or Arthritis hospital consultant ??

I was diagnosed with Palindromic Rheumatoid Arthritis and do get flare ups and very itchy red sore skin. I was later diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in my elbows. I would suggest maybe a second opinion but would advise you take photos of skin and flare ups if possible as evidence as I had to prove to them what was wrong as it comes and goes.

The following links maybe of interest.....

Please keep posting I am sure others will connect with you.

Best wishes @Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @birty81

Thank you for posting on our Online Community, it can be frustrating when you have been diagnosed with a certain condition, but it doesn't relate to what you are experiencing.

As @Naomi33 has explained with her condition of Palindromic Rheumatoid Arthritis during a flare up she experiences itchy sore red skin and I agree if you cannot get to see your GP during a flare then taking photograph which will help the doctor. Palindromic rheumatism is rare, so your GP may not have seen many cases. It can sometimes be confused with conditions like gout and Rheumatoid arthritis. A diagnosis will be based on your symptoms blood tests and scans.

The treatment for this condition is non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs, steroid injections, and also Disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs) which can help to reduce the inflammation in the joints.

Getting a confirmed diagnosis is very important so that you are on the right treatment, I hope you get the answers that you need very soon.

Best wishes

Chris (Helpline Advisor)